ADVERTISEMENT

2018 - Big 12 = Wide Open

gvillecat

All-Big 12 performer
Nov 1, 2001
Listed below are the number of 2017 Big 12 starters that won't be back in 2018.
If I say 3 to 4... it just means, there were one or more senior players that started multiple games, but didn't start every game. Special teams is not included.
Some lazy summer day, I will look at special teams .... and I will take a closer look as far as actual production that must be replaced (% of tackles, receiving yards, rushing..etc.)

Bottom line, the Big 12 appears to be Wide Open in 2018.
Note: replacing a starting QB can be challenging for any team (Texas has been trying for years..ha).

Returning Big 12 Champs = OU
Must replace 6 starters on defense
5 starters on offense
Side note: 2 juniors left early for NFL draft.
Must replace Heisman winning QB, Baker Mayfield.

TCU
5 starters on defense
7 to 8 starters on offense (including starting QB = Hill).
Patterson is a stud, but the Frogs have a lot of production to replace.

Okie State
4 to 5 starters on defense
6 starters on offense (including starting QB = Rudolf).
Bring the Mullet to BSFS.

WV
3 to 4 on defense
3 to 4 on offense
Wish we had WV in Manhattan. "IF" not for a somewhat lucky play on the last play of the 1st half, K-State likely beats WV last season. Skylar had a bad game in his first start as a freshman.

Texas
4 to 5 on defense
2 to 3 on offense
Side Note: Texas had 5 juniors leave early for the NFL (not all were starters, but may have been starters in 2018).
Time to kick some Horn @ss in BSFS. Still scratching my head on those back-to-back holding calls in over-time last season. Did the refs need to catch a flight or what?

Iowa State
6 on defense
5 on offense
The Clones got a 5th year for their QB ...and Montgomery will be back at RB, but lose 3 WRs (including Lazard) + 2 starting OL.
Most notable on defense, Clones lose Lanning.
The clones lose a lot, but it will still be a tough game in Ames.
What a classic last second win in Manhappiness !

Texas Tech
1 to 2 defense
4 to 5 offense (including QB - Shimoneck)
Red Raiders and pretty boy will be in BSFS
Another big come-from-behind win for Skylar and the CATS last season.

Baylor
3 on defense
1 to 2 on offense
The Bears are going to be better in 2018 (well, they would almost have to be better..ha).
Unlike ku, I expect to see significant improvement in Waco.

ku
Who Cares ... the clown show will continue.

K-State
K-State has to replace 5 to 6 starters on defense (AJ Parker started 4 games last season).
2 starters on offense (Pringle & Valentine).

The good news, AJ Parker and the emergence of Walter Neil, should be ready to step-in for DJ Reed & Cre Moore. K-State also has 2 juco transfers DBs that are on campus for spring ball.

Sure sounds like Sullivan and Patton are ready to step-in for Tanking & Kirby. I expect Sullivan and Patton to make some mistakes early on, but by mid-season, they "could" be better than Tanking & Kriby (that what speed do). BTW, Kirby & Tanking were very solid last season.

Also great news that Dishon has stepped up his play. Hopefully Joe Davies and Drew Wiley will continue to push each other and improve. Still the same, the CATS are going to miss Will.

Tanner Wood played injured a lot last season, I expect an improvement at D-end.

On offense, Pringle will be missed (though his drops in some games last season, will not be missed). Zuber, Harris, Schoen, Reuter... and my 2018 break-out player pick, Chabastian Taylor (note: Taylor was my choice well before the press conference last week... just saying, I might have had a good guess..ha). Heath started 1 game in 2017.

At Tight-end, Gammon started two games last season (played in 13 games) and Lenners has potential (played in 11 games). Valentine was a very solid blocker, but he had 2 catches for a total of 10 yards last season. Will AC involve the TE more in the passing game?

GO STATE !!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News