Bill Snyder on two QB system

lotthall

All-American performer
Gold Member
Apr 6, 2007
Pearland, TX
This just seems like Deja Vu to me.

2013:
K-State football coach Bill Snyder announced Waters as the Wildcats’ starting quarterback on Monday. Snyder said Waters “went above and beyond” what was asked of him, and won the job based on his consistency and leadership.

“Jake just displayed more consistency in all the areas we have talked about,” Snyder said. “In terms of managing the offense and being able to provide the kind of leadership we want, as well as the physical aspects of it. It was mental, emotional and physical, there was more consistency in his presence during these 25 practices that we’ve had.”

When asked how much Sams will play on Friday, Snyder replied, “It could be five” snaps. “It could be 50. I just don’t know.”

“I like the idea of having two young guys who can play the position of equal skill level,” Snyder said. “Most people would anticipate you have Jake in the ball game to throw it and Daniel in the ball game to run it. That is not the case. What we are looking for is a complete quarterback, one who can invest himself in the running game, one who can invest himself in the passing game. And both of these guys can do that. It’s not a matter of two totally different skill sets.”

Bill Snyder wishes Daniel Sams had played more quarterback for Kansas State last Friday in a 24-21 loss to North Dakota State. Snyder said playing two quarterbacks is difficult because coaches don't want to break continuity, “but by the same token, Daniel is a very athletic young guy, and that was just my feeling, that he needed to be on the field. He has the capabilities of making plays and he did so."

“How do you balance that? I'm not altogether certain. You just say, ‘Hey, we are going to do it,' and then go do it and see where it takes you.”

“We have two quarterbacks that are playing well,” Snyder said. “And as I’ve said before, both deserve the opportunity to play and both will get the opportunity to play."

2018:
Snyder said that “there’s going to be a quarterback battle” brewing in the months leading to the Sept. 1 season opener against South Dakota, adding that the duel between junior Alex Delton and sophomore Skylar Thompson “is probably one of the closest ones we’ve had in a long time. (As) we’ve done in the past with quarterback battles, we’ll carry it right into the first game and see what happens when we get there, and see who steps up and kind of takes the reins. The good thing is that both of them are very good quarterbacks and both of them are going to be very successful,” Snyder continued. “It’s tight for the right reasons, not the wrong reasons.”

“At first glace, I think both of them played reasonably well… in all honestly, who started the ball game for us, we flipped a coin, Collin Klein and the two quarterbacks flipped a coin to decide who was going to be the first guy to take the reps with the one’s. It’s an indication of how close they have been through our spring practices. Both of them do a pretty decent job of both facets of the game, but it will be about game management and how well they get us in, get us out, the right things, the wrong things, and manage the ball and be turnover free, that’ll be a major criteria for the evaluation.”

“We have 25 practices or so,” Snyder said. “Depending on what they do over the course of the summer, I would like to think someone will separate themselves to a certain degree.”

If they don’t?
That could lead to a two-quarterback system or drag the position battle until the season. The only thing Snyder can say for sure is that if they remain “dead even,” he won’t rely on another coin toss to decide a starter for South Dakota. “We will make a strategic decision based on what is needed,” Snyder said, “in the first ballgame.”

Reactions: Cat 4 Life
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News