ADVERTISEMENT

Contextualizing camp/track numbers

ProfessorPlum

A solid starter
Jan 19, 2002
Kansas City
I've noticed quite a bit of back and forth between fans when it comes to the "should I be excited about this commit?" regarding kids with lack of impressive offer sheets but purportedly good testing/track numbers. I suspect this might be a relatively new problem now that KSO has more access to camp and camp results. I'm guessing no one was breaking down 5-10-5 results from a K-State camp on this board a year ago.

It's pretty obvious to me that most of us (certainly count myself in this group) lack context to know what good results are to allow for comparison. I'm talking the more obscure stuff like shuttle, three cone, 5-10-5. I've got nothing to compare to. It also seems any solution should be position specific (how fast is Demarquese Hayes for a LB?). I've heard Swanson has some great athleticism for a tight end but lack context, so see the lack of P5 interest and am tempted to dismiss his upside.

@Matt Hall @The Manhatter we need your help. I don't have a solution, just a problem. Is there a way to provide a benchmark to contextualise a kids athleticism that gives better perspective.

The following came up in the Malachi Mitchell thread to demonstrate the gap between the novice and the knowledgeable

Seriously. I didn't have much reference to that time, but a simple search shows that a 3.97 would have been the BEST TIME AT THE NFL COMBINE this past year. Lol people are so obsessed with the current RR/stars that they completely ignore the elite athleticism being reported.

edit: didn't see point this was just brought up by @mtmcbr, but I'm leaving it for emphasis.

Oh give me a break. Not all has to be speed. The 4.5 40 is a good time for a DB, but you're not understanding the shuttle time. The shuttle test is designed for coaches to determine the power and efficiency of an athlete to not only start, but to change direction and sprint.

Now, it is not a perfect test, but it have been able to establish some industry bench marks over the years. The marks are below:

So if we were to go what was told, a 3.97 time per Matt Hall, refer to the chart above.

Reactions: azhumm
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News