ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting Grill article on The Athletic

bornploopers

All-American performer
Oct 27, 2015
Kimball Ave
https://theathletic.com/943612/2019/04/25/how-caleb-grill-went-from-a-barely-known-prospect-to-multiple-high-major-teams-pursuing-him/

Need a sub, so I'll just post a few interesting snippets.

K-State coaches have also told Chris they never really pursued him hard the first time around because they had heard that since he played at Wichita State, that’s where Caleb would go. “I don’t know who they heard it from, because it’s pretty far from the truth,” Chris says. Grill never got real interest from Wichita State.

That is the roadblock for Otzelberger at UNLV: location. But if you want to read between the lines and figure out the favorite, you’d think it’d be the Runnin’ Rebels because of the Grills’ relationship with the coach. “He’s just a great guy,” Caleb says. “I thought his system fit me really well, and that’s a reason I wanted to go up there (to South Dakota State). He puts all of his time into coaching basketball. He’s not one of the coaches that goes out and golfs and stuff like that. He puts all his focus and time into basketball, and that’s kind of how I am as a person too. We just clicked really well together.”

“It’d be nice to be close to home,” Caleb says. “But at the end of the day, whatever school makes me the most happy and where I fit in best is where I want to go.”

And, again, that’s where UNLV might have a slight advantage. The Grills feel like they know Caleb will be happy with Otzelberger. “We know what we’re going to get with T.J.,” Caleb’s mom, Lena, says. “We really like him. We’ve known him for so long now, we’re comfortable. We’ll ask him anything. We’re not nervous to ask him anything.”

Otzelberger also most likely get the final word in, as Caleb plans to take an official visit to UNLV on May 3-5. The staff also was came on Wednesday for an in-home visit.

Reactions: abcats and ksufelis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.