ADVERTISEMENT

Hazelton is not Tom Hayes

bigdaddyjdub

New walk-on to the team
Nov 25, 2003
For everyone that hated the Tom Hayes style of bend, don't break defense, I think you will really enjoy Hazelton's defense. He loves to bring pressure. They like to show press man coverage and put everyone else, including the free safety up in the box. They make it appear like they are bringing 8 guys. Then right before the snap they will bail out different players and play every coverage imaginable. A lot of film that he showed when explaining the defense and blitzes/coverages was from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

It is very confusing for the linemen with pressure coming from different places and inside games being ran by the down linemen. It was causing our offense tons of problems, to the point where they couldn't do anything. It also was really confusing to the quarterbacks because they weren't getting pre snap reads on coverages and were so worried about the pressure. It also did a good job of putting our best rushers in man on man situations. Our defense was totally dominating the offense in practice.

I don't think this package will be used all the time, and more often than not probably in obvious passing situations. I questioned how it would work against teams that snap the ball quickly, but time will tell. We also need our corners and safeties to step up and be able to play press man at times. Fortunately, I believe we have greatly improved in these positions, especially safety. With Goolsby, Jones, McPherson, and Alexander, I think we are pretty solid at safety. At corner I thought Parker, McGee, and Robinson really looked good, but depth there is still shaky.

Hazelton is so energetic and intense. I'd imagine our players are loving it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.