ADVERTISEMENT

Memories of KSU football pre-Snyder...

Leland

All-American performer
May 29, 2001
Not "thanks for the memories" but rather, people sharing memories of pre-Snyder KSU football. My post will share memories not only before Snyder but including Snyder's first season.

I lived in Manhattan for part of my childhood, and I remember riding my bike all over town during (I think) 1977 and 1978 (back when you could let your kids do that...sigh). A common occurrence for my buddies and I during football season was to stop off at our practices. Yes, KSU practices were completely open and we were allowed to drop in without anyone saying anything. We would run around the stadium, and when the practice was over, go down and throw balls with QB Dan Manucci, who was really a great, friendly guy, and a pretty good player. This was right around the start of the Dickey era when we had some not-terrible teams.I went to most of the games and me and my 5th grade buds would wander around, not even watching the games (tons of empty seats).

Fast forward to 1984 when I was living in JoCo and rarely made it to Manhattan (neither of my parents really into sports that much). I went to two games that year. We smoked KU 24-7, which was a big deal, of course, and to end the season, we absolutely destroyed CU 38-6. About as complete of a win as you'd ever see from KSU back then. I was there with my Dad (who could barely sit through a game), and my biggest memory was of this drunk guy a few rows in front of me who spent the whole fourth quarter yelling things like "this KSU team is getting some PUSSY tonight!" My Dad was annoyed and embarrassed but eventually just laughed along like everyone else.

1986, I am a FR at KSU. The mindset back then for me and all of my friends was to look at the schedule, pick a home game or two we *might* win, and plan to attend those. Except for KU, which you always attended. Road games were not even considered. You could either scalp tickets that morning (or get free ones from someone), or go in for free at half time (they opened up all gates at half because the place was 1/2 empty anyway). I thought we could beat Northern Iowa, so I went to that one. We lost 17-0. Later in the season, we smoked KU 29-12 and there were full-on riots in Aggieville including overturning a small VW bug.

In 1987, I went to two home games. The first was the opener versus Austin Peay State (now just Austin Peay), who we felt we *might* beat. We lost 26-22. Later, I attended the infamous "Toilet Bowl" KSU vs KU game, which ended in a tie 17-17. Yes, we played KU at home two years in a row.

In 1988, I didn't go to any games because none looked winnable and we played KU in Lawrence that year.

1989, Snyder shows up. My buddies and I go to the Northern Iowa game thinking we *might* win. We lose 10-8. At the time I knew some players and they were all raving about the new coach, so I went back two weeks later for our game against North Texas State (now North Texas), and we won 20-17. The rest is history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.