ADVERTISEMENT

My short list of things we need to come together in order to win the Big 12 and be in the NC playoff

okiecatfan

On the depth chart
Aug 4, 2002
  1. The caveat that Bill always applies: Summer workouts with engaged players across the board. We saw signs of what this team could be last year and with so many coming back and the talent that is now coming online for next year we can only hope complacency does not set in. The staff seems to believe that there are some beyond the two deep not doing their part but if they did they would not only hit the depth chart but provide quality playing time at several positions. Just as importantly if they get those to step up and make special teams extra special while waiting their turn to start it gives us that much more firepower.
  2. Will Geary is back, motivated and has kept himself in top shape. This is a thinner interior DL than is ideal for a 12 game season unless no injuries occur OR Price, Huggins and at least one other DT step up and give us more than just a pile maker. This D scheme has largely just asked for gap control and to make a pile at the point of attack but with the change in LBs they may need to provide more pocket collapse and penetration than last year for the D to be effective.

3. Kendal Adams and Trent Tanking become ‘the guys’ to make sure the D is lined up and playing the O’s sets they face properly. We saw with Texas last year how poor positioning offsets talent when we gouged them over and over as they took the wrong gaps.

4. McCrane is healthy and mentally on target. WV last year was a stark reminder of how essential it is to get points every time in the redzone. The margin for us to get to the NC playoff will always be thin and having one of the best kickers in the nation healthy and feeling ‘it’ will be essential.

5. Delton and Thompson are in tune with the WRs. We can probably expect at least once that they will be called on to make plays when Ertz goes down for a few plays. I am not just talking serious injuries but those times when a running QB gets a bit roughed up. If they can run the whole offense including keeping the passing game threat in place when they take the field our margin for error goes up. Hopefully we see a team getting some blow outs early on and they get lots of real game snaps.

6. Ertz misses no more than a few plays here and there over the season.

7. Mitchell and Beecham hit it really hard all summer and equal the consistency of the rest of the OL returning starters. This group could be very, very special. We do need some quality depth to accrue in case of a season ending injury but there appears to be a bunch of big athletic kids in pursuit of the spots on the two deep that make that concern low on my list. The run game coordination was phenomenal at times last year but could be even better this year with the experience of the OTs. Put Barnes, Silmon, Warmack, McCoy behind student body right/left and the ground game could be better than any KSU squad in history—and I do not say that lightly. Not to mention how dangerous Ertz becomes when you actually have to take the threat of a home run at any time from a RB serious. Gotta love Jones but he didn’t really bring that.

8. The RBs need to continue to solidify their entire game including pass blocking. If we can open the playbook up on RB screens, safety release and short zone routes the pressure on Ds that the speed of our WRs bring can turn those plays into big plays---we are going to see safeties having to set deep and CBs turning and running or having to give huge cushions. I would anticipate that pressuring Ertz will be the most effective way to combat our passing game if Ertz’s shoulder is intact. He showed some quality accuracy and when rested an ability to get the ball deep which coupled with our quality depth at WR makes the passing game really tough to handle if he has time to throw.

9. Dimmel stays healthy. I personally am a big fan of how he plays the game and he adds that downfield blocking ability that turns ten yard gains into TDs.

10. More of the playbook gets opened then we have seen to date. I have been told by a very good source we never have had the whole playbook at our disposal because of either experience/knowledge issue or weaknesses at certain positions but that we are approaching a level of skill across the board that can achieve that.

11. I am not as worried about the DBs as some. If Walker is for real I have zero concerns unless injuries hit us at CB. There is athletic ability in the wings at safety. We will see what develops at CB when fall camp opens but there seems to be reason to be optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News