ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarships to give in 2020 class (long)

Captain Beefheart

All-Big 12 performer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Quick primer for those unfamiliar with the rules...

The NCAA caps the number of new scholarships ("initial counters") that a school can award at 25 per class. Players who receive a scholarship after spending a year as a walk-on are excepted from the initial counter limit, and recruits who sign but never enroll do not become counters. The rules do provide flexibility in how some initial counters are counted, allowing them to be counted back to the previous class in some cases or forward to the next class in others. In most cases, an initial counter counts against the academic year in which he first receives his scholarship, but initial counters who receive their scholarships in the middle of the academic year (i.e. spring semester) may be counted either against the current calendar year or against the previous year's class, provided that the previous class still has room under the 25/year limit. So the number of scholarships that we can award in this 2020 class depends in part on how full the 2019 class was.

List of K-Sate's 2019 Initial Counters...

Grayshirts from 2018:
1. Archer
2. Cherry

Four-year Transfers:
3. Gilbert
4. Hayes
5. J.Brown

Junior College Transfers:
6. Zentner
7. Alexander

High Schoolers:
8. Beebe
9. Stange
10. Garber
11. Herron
12. Fox
13. Duke
14. Wilson
15. Ervin
16. Price
17. Poitier
18. J.Lewis
19. Dineen
20. W.Jones
21. T.Lewis
22. Youngblood
23. Grayson
24. Givens
25. Pola-Mao
26. Reed
27. Wright

The names listed in green are the mid-year guys who potentially could be counted back to 2018. I don't know how much room there was still available in the 2018 class but I question whether there was room to count back all 7. The 2018 class appears to have been pretty full (25-27), but a significant number (11) of them were mid-years who potentially could have been counted against 2017. Same with 2017, and on and on...the picture gets murky.

But we do know enough to nail down a range of possibilities. The absolute most we could count back from 2019 is 7 out of the 27. In order to have room for all the recruits we signed in 2019 the least number of count-backs would be 2, but the fact that we have continued considering and/or pursuing targets (Vokolek, possible LB?) for the class indicates more than that.

I'm assuming 4-7 count-backs from the 27, but probably closer to 4.

That leaves a 2019 class of 20-23 initial counters, which in turn would allow for a 2020 class of up to 27-30, but probably closer to 27. That number comes down with any late additions to the 2019 class, and goes up if any projected counters don't make it to the fall.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.