ADVERTISEMENT

Football A breakdown of the 30 seniors

ProfessorPlum

A solid starter
Jan 19, 2002
Kansas City
Coach Klieman mentioned in his presser that there are ~31 seniors coming out for recognition Saturday. He wasn't super-confident in that number and by my count there are 30.
I wanted to take a look at who they were and prioritize those that would be great to have back.

To me the best super-senior candidates are the guys who would otherwise require a transfer to backfill their place on the two-deep. Using that criteria, having JMac back, while he's been underwhelming was still a big deal as it offset yet another transfer this team didn't have to add last off-season. Even bringing back a backup (Boom) is beneficial if the roster didn't have another viable option.

Super Seniors (5)
Skylar
McPherson
Fletcher
Johnson
Massie

No more eligibility (5)
Imatorbhebhe
Stubblefield
Yeast
Munoz (not positive, but hopeful, about this distinction)
Horne

Srs with an optional year (20)
*EDITED moved Warner, Zentner and Rivas up a tier based on volume of support from others. Rivas based moreso on dominant play than positional need.

Tier 1
Huggins -returning​
Elder - not expected​
Mason - likely returning​
Gardner - not returning​
Hentz - ?​
Warner - not expected​
Zentner -returning​
Rivas - not returning​

Tier 2
Weber - not returning​
Lenners - not returning​
Long - ?​
Hennington - not expected​
Adler - not returning​
Taylor - not expected​
Hommel - ?​

Tier 3 (I'm assuming none returning)
Gainous -​
Barta -​
Godinet - walk on​
Delforge -​
Cotton - walk on​

Thoughts
Tier 1: Any of those top 5 guys staying would mean 1 less transfer we'd have to add. Gardner/Hentz are only in this tier because of the lack of ready-to-play talent behind them. If Gardner were to stay, we aren't shopping for a transfer CB. If guys like Omar Daniels or Damian Illalio will be ready next year then Gardner/Hentz could move down to Tier 2.

Tier 2: Guys who contribute but their departure doesn't create a roster hole that requires a transfer backfill. If a couple of these guys want to return, I'd expect them to be welcomed with open arms. However, I think we'll be fine if zero of them come back. I see Sinnot and Moore taking on the blocking TE/H role that Lenners has admirably filled. We wouldn't need to backfill his loss with a transfer.

Tier 3: Guys who probably would not be offered the option of returning.

*These tiers will look silly after the transfer portal taketh over the next 2 months

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News