ADVERTISEMENT

A look at the 2016 opponents

gvillecat

All-Big 12 performer
Nov 1, 2001
I took a look at K-State’s 2016 opponents and highlighted the production that each team has to replace on offense and defense. Sorry, not much info on FAU, Mo State, or ku.

@ Stanford
K-State and Stanford will be starting a new QB (for K-State this should be a good thing).
Hogan was a 4 year starter for Stanford.
Stanford has 3/ 4 starters to replace on the O-line and their tightend (3 were drafted)

Stanford brings back a very dynamic player in McCaffrey (RB).
IMO, McCaffrey should have won the Heisman last season.

The CARDs have to replace their second best WR and stud Tight-end from a year ago.

Stanford has much more to replace on defense, including a super stud at LB, Martinez (#1 tackler). Martinez had almost 3 times as many tackles at their #2 tackler (yes, I said 3 times).

The Cardinals lost two starting D-lineman, two starting corners, and their best defensive player (Martinez) at LB.
Stanford has to replace their #1, #2, #4, #9, #11 tacklers from a year ago.

At first glance, I did not like the fact that K-State was playing Stanford on week 1. That said, given all of the new starters for Stanford, playing Stanford on week one, could be an advantage for K-State (or not).
60/40 = Stanford

Florida Atlantic … CATS have bye week + home opener.
96/4 = K-State

Missouri State … good tune-up game before Big 12 play.
97/3 = K-State

@ West Virginia
The mountaineers return their starting QB (Skylar Howard), 4 of their starting O-lineman, their top 2 receivers, and #2 RB. But WV lost their stud #1 RB, Smallwood (rushed for over 1,500 yards last season).

On defense, not very good = the mountaineers lost their #1, #2, #3, #5, #6, #8, & #10 tacklers from 2015.
This will be a tough road game for K-State to open up Big 12 play.
50/50

Texas Tech
The Red Raiders bring back a highly successful QB in Patrick Homes. The Red Raiders also bring back their #2, #3, & #4 WRs. On the down side, Tech lost their two biggest playmakers on offense, RB-Deandre Washington and WR-Jakeem Grant. Grant was also a big threat on kick-off returns.

Tech has to replace 3 full-time starters and one part-time starter on the O-line.

Defensively, the Red Raiders have to replace their #1, #2, #4, & #5 tacklers from a year ago. Their #2 tackler last season, Dakota Allen, was kicked off the team.

I’m banking on K-State’s pass defense being much better in 2016.
60/40 = K-State

@ OU
Mayfield will be back for the Sooners as well as Perine at RB. Those are two awfully fine players on offense. The sooners have to replace 3 starting o-lineman (2 full-time, 2 part-time starters).
And OU has to replace their best WR, Sterling Shepperd.

With two juniors entered the NFL draft, Sooners have some holes to fill on defense.
OU’s leading tackler from a year ago, LB- Dominque Alexander and CB- Zach Sanchez both declared for the NFL draft after their junior seasons.

The sooners have to replace the production of four quality LBs from a year ago = Striker, Alexander, Bond, & Shannon (though they have a couple of good LBs coming back too).
In all, OU will need to replace their #1, #4, #6, #7, #9, & #10 tacklers from last season.

OU appears to be correct choice to win the Big 12.
70/30 = OU

Texas
The longhorns continue to struggle under Charlie Strong.
Texas has two quarterbacks back from last year’s team, but sounds like a true freshman could get the job. RB, Jonathan Gray graduated, but there really isn’t anyone noteworthy to talk about as far as RBs & WRs. Texas has 2 O-lineman to replace.

Most of the production on defense is back. Texas’s best defensive player in 2015, Peter Jinkens, graduated. That said, Texas only loses two of their Top 10 tacklers.

But again, something just isn’t quite right at Texas.
I’m not exactly crazy about having to play Texas the week after OU.
In short, I believe that K-State is going to be more improved than Texas and the game is in Manhattan.
60/40 = K-State

SIDE NOTE: I believe Strong needs at least 7 wins to save his job.
Texas fires Strong and hires Briles…LOL.

@ Iowa State
Joel Lanning finished the season as the starting QB and was hot & cold, but showed some promise.
The Clones return a dynamic RB in Mike Warren = 1,339 yard / 5.9 ypc.
The Clones return their top WR, but lost their #2 WR.

On the downside, the Clones have 4 starting O-lineman to replace (well, one started half the games).

The Clones lost their #2, #3, #6, & #8 tacklers from last season.
Iowa State’s #3 tackler decided to transfer and their #6 tackler quit the team due to injuries.
Also of note, Luke Knott quit the team due to injuries that he battled last season.
A positive note, the Clones only have to replace one starter on the D-line.

K-State will be coming off tough games against OU & Texas, whereas Iowa State will be coming off a bye week = NOT GOOD.
There is no doubt that the Clones and their fans will be fired up for this game (their first home game in 4 weeks).
50/50
Perhaps Jesse Ertz will be another QB from Iowa (i.e. Jake Waters) to take down the Clones.

Oklahoma State
The Pokes return a lot of players from last season, including their QB, Mason Rudolph.
Rudolph had a really good season in 2015 passed for 3,770 yards – 21 TDs / 9 INTs.
Though he seemed to be a little skittish in the pocket when opposing teams brought the heat.

The Pokes welcome back their #1, #3, & #4 receivers from a year ago… though they did lose their #2 WR, who was kind of a glue guy, David Glidden.

Okie State’s running backs fought injuries last season. The Pokes return their #1 RB from a year ago, Chris Carson.

Another BIG positive for Okie State is that they return their all of their starters on the O-line.

The Pokes lost their #5, #6, & #8 tacklers from a year ago, which included their best defensive player, Emmanuel Ogbah.
Their #5 tackler, Seth Jacobs, quit the team because of health reasons.
The Pokes have two starting D-lineman to replace, Ogbah & Bean.
The Pokes don’t have a lot to replace on defense, but there are some key pieces that need to be replaced.

K-State should have beaten the Pokes last year… I still can’t believe the chain gang incident = how does that happen.
K-State is going improve much more than Okie State in 2016 (IMO), plus the game is in BSFS.
K-State – 60/40

@Baylor
How in the world do you predict how good Baylor will be in 2016?
For one, Baylor lost some really good players + controversy/ turmoil + new coach + transfers + de-commits. I gotta believe that Baylor is going to take a step back in 2016.

Seth Russell returns for Baylor after sitting out at the end of last season due to injury. In seven games, Russel through for 2,104 yards, 29 TDs, & 6 INTs. Yep, he’s pretty good.

Baylor returns two 1,000 yard rushers from a year ago, Shock Linwood & Johnny Jefferson.
Granted Johnny Jefferson got 300 of his 1,000 yards in Baylor’s bowl game. Baylor only rushed for 645 yards against North Carolina.

Baylor just seems to reload at WR, but Corey Coleman (#1 WR) was taken in the 1st round of the NFL Draft (#15 overall). Baylor’s #3 WR, Jay Lee, is also gone (signed free agent contract).

Baylor has to replace 4 of their 5 starting O-lineman from a year ago (1 was drafted and 2 signed free agent contracts). And Baylor’s tight-end signed a free agent contract (of note, Rico Gathers was drafted in the NFL draft -- 6th round),

Defensively, the Bears lost their #1 tackler from 2015, but return their #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 & #9 tacklers from last season.
On the down side, Baylor has to replace 3 starting D-lineman, including Andrew Billings.
If you don’t remember, Billings played nose tackle and was a huge presence for Baylor.
Perhaps Baylor’s best corner, Xavien Howard, left early for the NFL draft (as did Billings).
And their #1 tackler from 2015, Grant Campbell, was a big leader for the Bear defense (signed free agent contract).

If this game was in Manhattan, I would take the CATS, as it is, hard to call. The BEARS have 12 really good players to replace (6 drafted or 6 free-agent signings) and all kinds of turmoil, I’m calling this game 50/50.
50/50 = Baylor.

ku
I just don’t have much to say except that I believe ku will beat Rhode Island.
The birds will experience another winless conference record.
Another woodshed beating in BSFS is on its way.
97/3 = K-State

@ TCU
I expect TCU to take a step back in 2016. The question, how big of a step?

It’s hard to replace a Heisman trophy candidate at QB (Boykin), a 1st round draft pick at WR (Doctson), and a 1,300 yard rusher (Aaron Green), without going backwards.
Listenbee (#2 WR) also graduated (and was drafted).
Note: Boykin was TCU’s #2 rusher.
Additionally, TCU must replace four staring offensive lineman from a year ago (2 were drafted).

I’m sure Patterson will have some good players ready to step-in in 2016 on offense, but to think that the Frogs will be as good as last season is likely a reach.

The best news for TCU is that they bring back most of their production on defense. They have 2 good D-lineman to replace and thier QB on defense (Derick Kindred).
I expect TCU to have a good defense (as usual).

The Frogs and CATS are sure to mix-it-up in a physical game to close out the regular season.
I like purple koolaid, thus I’m calling this game 50/50.
50/50 TCU

Disclaimer: my predictions are based on Ertz staying healthy and having a good year (not a great year, just good).

To recap:
I have TWO losses for K-State (Stanford & OU).
FOUR 50/50 games (WV, ISU, BAYLOR, TCU)
SIX wins (FAU, MOState, ku, Okie State, Texas, Texas Tech)… only 3 locks (FAU,MOState, ku).

GO STATE !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News