ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting A quick recruiting roundup

D

Derek Young

1) While I think Kansas State could grab some commitments in April, there is also a part of me that feels that we could see even more of a lull in the next two months for everyone. Recruits are accepting the idea that they will be able to make visits to college campuses and interact with the coaches by the end of May or beginning of June. Making a commitment between now and then when that seems realistic to them and their families, just might not be in the cards. They may want to wait since that is now in clear view.

2) In terms of who could pop between now and then, anyways, two come to mind and that is Carson Willich and Gracen Bell. They are the KCMO targets that the Wildcats are chasing. Willich is a linebacker from Blue Springs and Bell is a tight end from Lee's Summit North. I would be surprised if either made it to May without a commitment made, but crazier things have happened.

3) The one thing that could shake up point number one for me is that the last spring football practice in Manhattan will be an open practice that anyone can go in and watch. That is a move that has been deployed all Spring by Missouri, and it allows recruits to go see practice. Technically, there still can't be any interaction between recruits and coaches but I could see this "event" of sorts perhaps moving the minds of a few. It'll be interesting to learn what recruits will be there for it. That is the next task for KSO to uncover.

4) Quarterback recruiting continues to go in waves. They offered Tayven Jackson, and when he had moved on to other opportunities, they offered Jacob Knuth and Zach Pyron. Quickly, Knuth committed to Minnesota and Pyron pulled the trigger for Baylor. Next in line is Richard Torres of San Antonio. He's got a cannon of an arm and has really seen his offer sheet explode over the last few weeks. They'll need to see some tangible progress being made with him in the near future or they may have to continue to expand their horizons a bit. I'm still not in panic mode at the position, as good quarterbacks are regularly still undiscovered at this point on the recruiting calendar, but a good habit to be in is having it figured out before the summer is over because the pickings become pretty slim after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News