ADVERTISEMENT

Futile Exercise

Dano_64

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2015
So I’m wasting time as I wait for a conference call to start, and got to thinking about a couple lost opportunities in K-State sports history.

We’re all painfully familiar with the 98 title game. So no need to rehash that heartbreak.

There are two other specific instances where I feel we were on the cusp of something big.

The first was the 88 basketball season. I’ll always wonder about what could have been had Norris Coleman stayed for one more year. That dude was an awesome scoring threat. Yes, I Know he refused to play defense, but that could have been compensated with more zone looks. I also understand there were challenges with distribution between he and Mitch. But can anyone really deny the impact he could have had in that regional final? Would KU have been able to shut down both Mitch and Norris?

The second instance was the 03 football season. Once again, I can’t help but wonder how much of an impact Terry Pierce would have made, had he remained for his senior season. That guy was a monster who lived in the offensive backfield. Go watch the 02 Nebraska game to get an idea of how he could take over a game. If he was there for 03, could we have survived Marshall and UT? Even if we assume the OSU game remained a loss, we’d have entered the Big XII title game with only one loss and likely a top 5 ranking. With the beat down we put on OU, there’s a high probability we get into the BCS title game.

Oh what could have been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News