ADVERTISEMENT

Guitar Thread

BOwnerJamz

All-American performer
Aug 14, 2013
Washington
Thinking about picking up guitar this spring/summer when I finish the slew of home projects I am working through this winter. I have never played before, but I can read music and am willing to take lessons. I have seen a wide variety of information about whether to get electric or acoustic and price points to look at.

From a few of my friends, I have heard:
  • You'll be embarrassed at how much you will suck at guitar for a very long time, so at least the electric is quiet when you have headphones plugged in.
  • Don't get the cheapest one on the market because that price point has bad fit and finish and is less enjoyable to handle and play.
  • Just get the cheapest Stratocaster you can find for like $100 and solder it (wtf was this guy even talking about?)
  • Pick based on the music you like- I like a lot of genres, but the guitar sound I really like has a more vintage sound, Hozier's music has a ton of this in it and his music is pretty guitar forward, so its easy to hear (and I know he has tons of guitars and switches every song).
I think, based on what I have found through a few days of research is that I really like the sound and look of something in the neighborhood of a Gretsch Jet Series. Willing to spend more than the minimum entry level, since this will be sitting on a display in my music room (very classy room with drums, stereo, mounted tv for watching lessons from behind the drumset, and art deco wallpaper that theoretically goes on Saturday after a hellish struggle smoothing a textured wall and making every mistake possible doing it). I would love stand, guitar, case, and a couple of music books to be easily under a thousand.

Seeking the board's collective "wisdom" here. Looking forward to playing "Smoke on the Water" a million times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple_Haze
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News