ADVERTISEMENT

Hartman to Coach

refuse to lose

On the depth chart
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2002
I was doing some researching and found this article. Then I had to find out a little more.

Hartman to Coach (May 31, 1959)

Jack Hartman, head basketball coach at Coffeyville Junior College, will lead the North juco and the West high school all Americans. Boyd Converse, versatile young mentor at Paris, Texas, Junior College will handle the East prep stars and the South’s juco team.

The nation’s tallest preps star, Roger Suttner, 7’ 1/2”, 190 pound stand out from Ridgway, Illinois, will be the East’s pivot. Coach Converse of the East can also go to the opposite extreme and start Roger Wander, a 5-9 wonder from Cleveland, Ohio, at a guard spot.

Coach Hartman of the West prep greats will have a decided height advantage. The Westerners smallest men are a couple of 6-1 Kansas lads – Delwin Locke of Natoma, and Mike Payne of Wellington. Hartman’s roster lists no less than six high schoolers that toe better than 6-5.

I tried to find the outcome.

On June 5, 1959 the North overpowered the South, 95-57 to win two of three games in the first “World Series” of Junior College basketball in the Hutchinson Sports Arena (didn’t say anything about the preps and no player above were in the article). On June 23 the Stillwater paper mentioned that Hartman would be coaching the North juco and West preps during the world series of basketball in Hutch. (I didn't find any more).

Suttner beat Coach to K-State by a full decade. In 1964 his 13 point average along with Willie Murrell lead led the Cats to the NCAA finals where we lost to UCLA 84-90 and then to Michigan in the consolation game. Roger was drafted in the 5th round by Golden State.

Delwin Locke had led Natoma to 2 state championships. He lettered for Pitt State in 1963-4. He worked for Southwestern Bell in Wichita and passed away in 1996. He was the son of John Locke, the winningest coach in Kansas history going 731-203 at Covert, Natoma and Stockton in 44 years of coaching.

Mike Payne graduated from Hardin-Simmons and lettered 3 years in track and 1 in football. He then was head BB coach at Spur, Tx high school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News