ADVERTISEMENT

John Morris....Baylor play-by-play guy on Tang hire

OCAT

All-Big 12 performer
Sep 11, 2001
Recap from 810am interview:

-Who is K-State getting? Great guy and great coach. One of Drew's first hires. Has been Drew's right hand man for 19 years. Hate to see him and his family go. I think it's a great situation for him and his family

-What has his impact been on Baylor's program? Hard to put into words. Drew puts a ton on assistants as it is...but even more with Tang. With Coach Tang, he's the one always in Drew's ears during the actual games.

-Style of play? Will he branch off from Drew's style? Just a guess, he will adjust to strengths and weaknesses of roster. He's not married to any particular style. And I'll say this, he's as dialed in on recruiting as anyone.

-Anderson: Baylor has been good offensively.....that seems to be the trend in college bball. Morris: Good point, don't disagree, but he'll be well rounded. I know he values offensive, but he'll put a premium on defense.

-General recruiting thoughts on what was accomplished at Baylor regarding recruiting improvement? At Baylor, as winning got better, were able to get in on more guys. As with anywhere, a lot of swing and misses early on at Baylor.....but, especially if you have tourney success, recruiting really takes off. You have to take advantage of your on-the-court success.

-Other opportunities for Tang? Did he really turn others down over the years....and if so, why now at K-State? Yes, I know there have been opportunities in the past. Tang really does his research. If fit not right, he wasn't going to leave what he had at Baylor. Bottom line, he loved it at Baylor and was comfortable. But now, with an opportunity at a Big 12 program, at a school like K-State, how could he say no. It makes so much sense.

-Career path reminds me of Tommy Lloyd at Arizona....it seems similar with Tang. Lloyd didn't just take first job offered. Do you see similarities? Yes, great comparison. You definitely look at a job like K-State. Just like AZ, K-State is a great place for your first HC job. In summary, I'm going to be a K-State fan from here on out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News