ADVERTISEMENT

Football K-State Offense vs Baylor Analysis with GIFs

ksu_FAN

All-American performer
Nov 21, 2017
I was in Colorado from Friday through yesterday, so I didn't have as much time for breakdown, but I did get to a selection of 20 plays for this week.

I said in another thread, but Messingham went into this game thinking he'd need to ride Skylar Thompson to win it. He called a couple early QB runs and a bunch of pass calls; 2/3 of the first 15 plays were drop back or play action passes. With the 2 QB run calls, 12 of the first 15 plays involved Thompson and then the 3 runs from Deuce Vaughn, though Vaughn did also have a pair of catches. I won't get too critical because Messingham's strength this season has been the early game script and building success, averaging nearly 8 yards per snap with a 52.8% success rate in the 1st quarter going into this game. He put this game in his super senior quarterback's hands and unfortunately it didn't work. Thompson had his share of struggles, but there were plenty of issues to go around. Protection struggled often, but not just from the offensive line as H backs, tight ends, and FBs had plenty of missed blocks. Receivers had trouble getting open at times against Baylor's man coverage, plus Baylor's defense seemed to be in the right call often, mixing in blitzes and man or zone coverage at just the right times to keep Thompson confused. Finally, Baylor is also a very good defense and definitely the 2nd best in the Big 12 only behind Oklahoma State's dominant group. Jalen Pitre is a special player and in my mind deserving of the Big 12 defensive player of the year, plus he's got plenty of help around.

Y9lvlV.png

The play chart speaks for itself, duo/inside zone, a stretch run, and a outside power/counter run were all very good. Nothing else was effective. Vaughn's big TD run came on duo, but the other snaps were effective given the 55.6% success rate. Vaughn had a 25 yard run on power/counter, that may have scored if K-State gets one more block (which I'll highlight later). A couple power runs, the QB run game, and the single jet sweep to Knowles netted -4 yards. Drop back pass, despite being used on 54.9% of the snaps, averaged only 4.5 yards per snap and had a success rate of only 21.4%. Play action was even worse, averaging 1 yard on 6 snaps with a 16.7% success rate. Clearly the running game and Deuce Vaughn should have been used more.

This week's GIFs will go in order as they occurred during the game, good and bad (clearly there wasn't a lot of good).

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News