ADVERTISEMENT

Football Likely realignment outcome

D

Derek Young

Just wanted to share what I continue to hear and/or have heard since we're getting a lot of threads that are jumping the shark or lacking the appropriate info.

- We shared all along that the most likely outcome was the eight schools continuing to work together, sticking together and going from there. Despite all the rumors and malarkey that gets tossed out there, that still continues to be the most likely outcome and is what is occurring. In fact, it wouldn't be a shock if they added a couple schools to the conference even before Texas and Oklahoma's exit. And then maybe a couple more after their exit.

- The Big 12 staying together is much more likely than any of the schools going to the AAC or Mountain West or whatever. If there's actual information out there trying to tie current Big 12 schools to other leagues, somehow it is being done without any knowledge of those schools (which seems pretty unlikely of course). No school feels like there is an option out there.

- Additionally, while "the alliance" between the Pac-12, ACC and Big Ten sounds great, it's also a nothing burger. It's a gentleman's agreement between three dudes that actually has no bearing on anything other than being symbolic solidarity to prevent the SEC and ESPN from monopolizing the playoff. There's no written contract or agreement. A scheduling agreement can't even take place until current contracts are fulfilled which isn't until the mid 2030s, plus they all play each other already. And they aren't merging or anything, so it's a pretty meaningless agreement. It's almost like a peace treaty written on a napkin to promise not to kill one another.

- But the alliance is probably even more of an indication that those leagues do not intend to expand, since they just kept screaming stabilizing over and over and over again and have said they see it as an alternative to expansion. Which goes hand in hand what I mentioned up top.

- So, again, there is a lot of theater out there right now but nothing has really changed between today and three weeks ago, for example. Although I'm much less certain that this is Texas and Oklahoma's final season in the Big 12. I could see it being this season and next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News