ADVERTISEMENT

Mini Off the Record

D

Derek Young

I have some pieces of information to share, and rather wait on more for a full-blown deal, I will share it now because I think it is prudent to do so and fair to our subscribers to do so.

1) Jahron McPherson was banged up, but assuming no setbacks, there's quite a bit of optimism that he will be available against Oklahoma on 9/26. I believe he only played a series or two against Arkansas State before having to leave the game and did not return.

2) I don't have an update on Wayne Jones. All I know is what everyone else knows. Coach Klieman said after the game that he was moving his extremities and Jones tweeted that he had been discharged from the hospital and was diagnosed with a concussion. Knowing all that, I would still think it is very unlikely he plays against the Sooners.

3) As we pointed out and many others observed, Khalid Duke did not play against Arkansas State. However, Grant Flanders caught it, and we shared that he was on the sideline in street clothes that told us it wasn't anything related to CoVid-19 since he had been active nearly all of fall camp. I have learned it is not an injury, either. So, use your imagination on that. With that being said, it seems like that is an issue that is supposed to be solved and not creep into the next game.

4) There was clearly a number of players that were not available versus the Red Wolves. I don't know that they all will be back for the Oklahoma contest, as there is a lot of steps that have to be taken in order to return. There's also a conditioning aspect. It will likely be determined by how quick they can get back to practice and up to speed. Klieman said today that he knows some will be back at practice today so that is a good sign moving forward for the bunch that is in regard to the game against OU.

5) Courtney Messingham said at his presser before the Arkansas State game that the QB2 race was tight and who would go in as the substitute would be determined by the game situation and when. He said later in the game would likely be Nick Ast. I'm not saying that he fibbed, but it was the third quarter when Will Howard was inserted. That kind of tells me where the QB2 situation really is and Howard clearly did nothing to dissuade them from using him further (despite it being just a couple plays).

6) It does sound like Skylar Thompson has a lower body issue that he is dealing with, and it probably occurred on the front flip he took near the end zone on a QB run. It doesn't appear to be anything serious and having the bye week likely helps with that.

7) I was curious about the usage (or lack thereof) for Tyler Burns and Jacardia Wright in the backfield. We'll see if we can get those answers in the near future. Though, today, Klieman said to expect to see more and more of Deuce Vaughn and that he was their best player on Saturday.

8) The problem for Noah Johnson was his right arm, clearly. That had an impact on his ability to snap the ball. I think he even tried to return to center and snap with his left at one point. I don't know if that will be rectified in time for the Oklahoma game as I haven't received any clarity on that.

9) I shared elsewhere but five true freshmen played on Saturday. Of course, Deuce Vaughn saw time on offense. Felix Anudike received a few snaps on the defensive line. TJ Smith saw limited action at nickel. Will Howard took a couple snaps under center and Aamaris Brown saw special teams work. Chris Klieman said he anticipated more of that, in regards to special teams since they don't have to worry about any eligibilities.

10) Lastly, I'll address the CJ Noland stuff on the basketball recruiting front. He is expected to make his college choice in about a week or so. While I viewed it as a slam dunk for the Wildcats, I think there is cause for concern. There have been rumblings about Oklahoma being the leader in the clubhouse, though we have not been able to confirm that one way or another at this very moment. However, Rivals' basketball recruiting analyst Corey Evans has placed a futurecast in the Sooners' favor and we know that he is typically well plugged in to the comings and goings in regard to basketball recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News