ADVERTISEMENT

Football Off the Record 9/6/2020: First game week of the year

D

Derek Young

NOT AVAILABLE
I am not going to share details of why someone may not play. We will leave it vague as to protect the privacy of all the various things that are going on, health-wise. To be honest, that is how we have operated each of the last three seasons, too.

There was a point where I was told that Wyatt Hubert wouldn't play. However, the situation may have improved with him because I think he's been practicing the last few days. I don't know that Logan Long, Elijah Sullivan or Briley Moore are out. It does sound like they've missed some practices, though.

Running back Joe Ervin and defensive tackle Matthew Pola-Mao are two others I do not expect to see. The same could be said for offensive lineman Christian Duffie.

Because of the contact tracing connected to the positive tests the past couple of weeks, I do anticipate there being more that will be sidelined for the opener inside Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

ATTENDANCE WAS A MOVING TARGET
Obviously, the attendance policy is what it is now, and there will be a limited amount of fans allowed at Kansas State's home debut versus Arkansas State on September 12. I believe that 25 percent is the target number. I do know that it took quite the negotiation and convincing to have that be permitted.

Because of that, I expect the guidelines, protocols and procedures to be strictly enforced and I imagine that the Riley County Health Department will be keeping a close eye on it.

Furthermore, I do know that even after it was announced, there was a moment where it was in jeopardy once again. However, everything is still marching forward on track as originally planned. There was a moment where it got tight, from a playing standpoint and from an attendance standpoint, but it sounds like many of those worries have faded.

CONCERNS ABOUT GAME ONE
Everyone knows how CoVid-19 has affected everything. Because of the positive tests, aggressive contact tracing is completed and that sidelines even more than the players that have tested positive. The quarantine and isolation periods are just a part of the process anymore.

Because of that, some of the players haven't practiced nearly as much as they would have liked thus far.

From a preparation standpoint, they aren't concerned. Physically, they aren't even that concerned. There are some conditioning questions that can be answered with a bit more rotations that I anticipate them putting to action.

For some, they are just a little worried about the speed of the game and how quickly they can adapt. That is always an adjustment that players have to make every year when the season starts. Nobody is typically 100 percent ready for it. The challenge is even steeper for those that haven't been able to go through their regular routines ahead of the games.

It's going to be a strange season.

2021 STANFORD GAME
I've confirmed multiple times that there was an agreement (not sure how far along it was made and/or if it was signed) between K-State and Stanford to move the 2021 contest to Dallas. That was absolutely the plan and they were adamant about it. I can't confirm if that is still the plan, though, or if the pandemic will alter those arrangements.

Sources tied to the Wildcat athletic department have acknowledged that there will be even more pressure to keep games in Manhattan after this year to help bring more and more business to the Manhattan economy. It may not be a good look, after what 2020 has done to local economies, to move a home game away from those businesses that will be desperate for it.

POSITION SWITCHES
Not everyone sees everything that we write so some of this will look like an update for the avid readers on the site.

Though he is listed as a defensive end on the roster, true freshman Ronald Triplette has been working out with the defensive tackles. I still haven't confirmed the position group that includes true freshman Cody Stufflebean.

There were some rumors that Taylor Poitier was flipping over to the interior of the defense but that has yet to happen. I also don't think we ever see Talor Warner on the defensive side of the ball. He's made too much progress and impressed too much already as an offensive lineman.

I think it was out of necessity because of what happened to the numbers, but I did hear D.J. Render had flipped back over to the offensive side of the ball and was taking some reps at wide receiver. I don't know if it is a temporary or permanent move.

I imagine this might be an uncomfortable reality for teams across the country this year.

OFFENSIVE LINE
From everything I have heard and speaking with various folks that I would expect have the knowledge to know this information, I anticipate the starters on the offensive line to be, from left to right, Kaitori Leveston, Josh Rivas, Noah Johnson, Ben Adler and Cooper Beebe.

For the most part, it is also exactly what Courtney Messingham shared. I'm just not sure if two of the names he listed, Logan Long and Christian Duffie, will be available. I think the sixth man versus the Red Wolves may be Dawson Delforge.

Everything is a moving target, and for those where there is some questions, I don't know what the expected return date for them is or will be, honestly.

Most of these answers, even for the coaches, probably won't be known until closer to game day.

DEFENSE
The strength of the team throughout fall camp has undoubtedly been the defense, according to all the people that would know. There is also a large amount of confidence within the program about how they've looked through fall camp. They had some good numbers on that side of the ball last year, particularly on third down, but it sounds like the feeling is that they will take even further steps forward.

It has been reiterated to me behind the scenes that the buzz for Eli Huggins and Khalid Duke is real. They feel comfortable about Jahron McPherson's move to safety. Kiondre Thomas and Lance Robinson have showed well at the corner spot opposite of A.J. Parker.

They feel like they have a chance to be very potent, defensively.

Offensively, it sounds like more of a work in progress and they've dealt with a lot more shuffling around, personnel-wise, too.

All in all, there is a belief that they will be much closer to 100 percent for the conference opener against Oklahoma in Norman. It'll be shy of that for Arkansas State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News