ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cooking Stuff ITT

Purple_Haze

A solid starter
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2001
Wanted to create a master thread since I have been putting so many new cooking related threads out there over the last several months. Might help declutter things in the future.

Wanted to pick brains on recipes, references, books, websites, vids, etc.

I use All Recipes ... it is awesome for saving and organizing recipes. I also like how clean the printout format is. I like throwing paper recipes in a notebook so I can scrawl changes, etc onto them and then edit them later.

I don't just enjoy trying new recipes, I like to come up with my own or modify others. Although I think I have good instincts on from the hip stuff, I do realize there is a lot of science and art to being a good cook. As far as creating recipes, It would seem that a great understanding of the taste pallet and basic cooking flavors would be helpful. I am ordering a book called Salt Fat Acid Heat. I think it also touches on the basic tastes ... Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Salty, and Umame, and the more recent Kokumi. I have seen really strong recommendations on it.

I would also like to find a good reference book on Herbs and Spices. And any good websites with techniques and tips. Any recommendations appreciated.

My wife does most of the day to day cooking. I generally cook two or three "new" meals a week.

I am getting ready to rework our spice cabinet. It is a shit show. I am going to install pullout spice racks (Lynk Professional) and try to standardize bottles and lables. I am not normally the anal type but good lord it drives me nuts digging through that cabinet. Any recommendations on a good spice bottle set with top and side labels appreciated. Should I go glass or plastic?

Reactions: ccox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News