ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Roundup: 1/4

D

Derek Young

Writing this now and in this way for two reasons. One, had the last funeral today of the trip today and pretty exhausted. Secondly, my car is getting fixed in the morning and then I'm finally going to make it back to my home in Kansas City so I should be on the road all day tomorrow as long as it doesn't take too long to get my vehicle fixed.

1) Yes, Julius Brents is a top transfer target at this point. I don't have a ton of insider information to share beyond that. However, looking between the lines as many of you have, it sure suggests that the Wildcats are in good position. He and Russ Yeast are friendly, both being natives of Indianapolis and his twitter following would also indicate that Kansas State is in a good spot. Aside from that, he did retweet Yeast's commitment article. K-State is still in dire of additional, immediate help in the secondary.

2) Jonathan Alexander did commit to Charlotte and will play there. Like with Tyrone Lewis, and from what I've heard, it is clear that some of the offers disappeared on him for one reason or another. So it goes.

3) After the 2022 pick-ups of Tyson Struber and Sterling Lockett, many have asked about what happens now at wide receiver in that particular class. As I wrote in the Lockett analysis piece, they'll still take another if it is the right one. Yes, Jason Essex and Mudia Reuben and Grant Page are the right ones. I see it being difficult to land Essex. Reuben and Page are more realistic. Reuben probably more realistic than Page. However, there is a large part of me that is still shocked that his offer sheet hasn't expanded much further. Despite that thinking, if his recruitment weren't to change and remain status quo, the Wildcats are in very, very favorable position. Chuck Lillie is a nice asset, but so is his cousin, Felix Anudike.

4) There will be more high school additions for the 2021 class that have yet to commit and/or sign. Two of those are clearly defensive tackle Damian Ilalio and safety Desmond Purnell. Those two have been committed and will eventually sign and be on the roster for the 2021 season. Another to keep an eye on, that I've hinted at multiple times, is D.J. Giddens of Junction City. He's an athlete that has gone way under the radar and I anticipate him being part of the group on scholarship in the 2021 class and on the roster by fall camp. Giddens plays running back and is a P5 athlete.

5) Another 2022 in-state player that I think could eventually nab an offer from Kansas State is El Dorado offensive lineman Gavin Bell. He and Nick Herzog, if he comes their way, would finish the class on the interior of the offensive line in short order.

6) Lastly, a transfer target that has raised some eyebrows is Buffalo tight end Zac Lefebvre. I have spoken to sources at various programs that are very intrigued by him. His numbers aren't explosive since he has been in a run-based program but there is a real belief that he is quite the talent. K-State hasn't offered, but they have been in contact. It isn't as if he hasn't been productive, though. He's started a game in all four seasons at a good MAC program, a two-year starter and caught 21 passes as a junior, followed by 13 in just 4 games as a senior this past season. As of now, he has accumulated offers from Conference USA and Sun Belt schools and heard from multiple Power Five programs.

Additionally, I think we'll have a recruiting notebook on Friday, too. I should be able to garner a bit more information on what is proceeding behind the scenes, particularly in 2022.

Also, Cats play Tech tomorrow so there should be a preview on the site during the day at some point tomorrow, which should follow the report card from the TCU game.

Hope everyone is having a great new year so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News