ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Rent Free: Clemson Edition - Jaren Kanak

ninglu86

Almost on scholarship
Sep 27, 2010
Take a look here at Clemson football's rivals frontpage

Long article about Kanak, and interesting perspective from the leading candidate for his services. What's particularly interesting is that he and Alabama have "burned bridges." Wonder what happened there. Sounds interesting.

TLDR .. Clemson's Derek Young explaining Kanak's recruitment, why Clemson is interested, why certain schools offered and who they think have the best shot at him (Clemson, Georgia, and OU)

NorthStateTiger: Tell us more about
Jaren Kanak
. What ended up being his “market," and for the schools that are high on him, what do they like so much about him?

TI: You say that as if it's past tense.
Based on our returns, the market is still taking shape for the Hays (Kan.) four-star linebacker.

What they like about him is the easy part. It's his timed speeds at his size. Tack that on to good, but limited, defensive film, as well as a strong football resume -- and those are tools that defensive coordinators feel they can grow and develop into a plus linebacker. ... they're imagining taking the athlete and molding him.

Jaren Kanak ultimately played himself into a four-star billing from Rivals.com this spring.

Jaren Kanak ultimately played himself into a four-star billing from Rivals.com this spring. (Tigerillustrated.com)

Here's arguing that Kanak drew a whole bunch of what I term business-card offers late in the spring. A school sees that other schools are offering a prospect, lots of buzz is generated by his increasing traction and speed times, and so the staff tosses its card in the jar, too.

Enter to win now. Ask questions and decide on the prospect later.

Since kicking off last month with a two-night stay at Clemson, Kanak took an official visit to Michigan, an unofficial to Oklahoma, an official to Alabama and then unofficials to Florida and Georgia.

Kanak is a take for Florida. Oklahoma finds room for anyone who brings defensive hope. Nebraska covets him. Michigan will take any player with two legs and, evidently, two stars.

Alabama, I can tell you, isn't happening. That bridge has been burned.

To what degree UGA is pushing is more nebulous.

The goal of interested parties, to a large degree, was to both learn more about him while being enticing enough to convince Kanak on holding off committing to Clemson. To give him pause.

Per my sources, UGA and Oklahoma are probably the competition as circumstances stand. I'd put odds in Clemson's favor for prevailing if that stays the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News