ADVERTISEMENT

Solid article about 'the new racism' in the US

hills5

A solid starter
Nov 2, 2005
It describes how whether we try or not there is an inherent bias against other races, and explains much about the lack of equal opportunities. It also hits on the organizational racism. Here are a couple of key points:

Professors at the University of Chicago and MIT sent 5,000 fictitious resumes in response to 1,300 help wanted ads. Each resume listed identical qualifications except for one variation -- some applicants had Anglo-sounding names such as "Brendan," while others had black-sounding names such as "Jamal." Applicants with Anglo-sounding names were 50% more likely to get calls for interviews than their black-sounding counterparts.

...the U.S. has a greater wealth gap between whites and blacks than South Africa had during apartheid.

He says people are hardwired to be biased because it helped keep our ancestors alive. They survived, in part, by having to make quick assumptions about strangers who might prove threatening

"We need to reduce the level of guilt but increase the level of responsibility we take for it," he says. "I didn't choose to internalize these messages, but it's inside of me and I have to be careful."

"The 'new racism' is subtle, institutionalized and seemingly nonracial."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News