ADVERTISEMENT

Football The Final Walkthrough: Texas week

D

Derek Young

Here's the last bit of notes in the lead-up to kickoff of what we've heard this week.

1) No James Gilbert. He didn't travel. No Sammy Wheeler, as he was injured last week and is done for the season. A.J. Parker is out too, of course. That may be the extent of that.

2) It sounds like Jordon Brown is getting healthier and should be able to assume more of his load today. The other two in the rotation should be Harry Trotter and Tyler Burns.

3) You probably are thinking why not Joe Ervin? Ervin left last week's game dinged up and was taken to the locker room before the game had ended. Sounds like he has a concussion and won't play.

4) What's the answer at tight end? I think just more of Lenners, Gammon and Long.

5) What's the answer at cornerback? Coaches love McGee and he'll get the start. Obviously, Parker is their best guy, but McGee has played well. My only pause is that Texas has some of the biggest receivers in the league and, though McGee is one of their best man-coverage corners.. he's also one of the smallest.

6) That makes me wonder if they don't run more zone than usual in this one to try and guess right again, and take some pressure off Neil and McGee, and even Patterson. Most teams hate playing man coverage vs Texas anyways because it means you're turning your back on a good scrambler in Sam Ehlinger.

7) Sounds like there is no concerns about Da'Quan Patton.

8) I think K-State has a ton of respect for the interior of the Texas defense, fwiw. Could tell that Messingham did when he discussed the 340-pound noseguard.

9) I do enjoy the last bits and pieces about what I hear leading up to gametime. I heard about a spirited week vs KU. I heard about a motivated and elite week of practice before Mississippi State. I heard about a fantastic week of practice leading up to Baylor and Hazelton brought that up on Thursday, actually, how it was the best. What I've heard about the tenor of the team this week is just how confident they are.

10) Enjoy the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News