ADVERTISEMENT

Football The more I think about the current NIL and conference alignment messes, the more I think we have the right coach.

kcatty.com

All-American performer
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2003
First, if we’re honest with ourselves, the current NIL free-for-all essentially legalized pay-for-play, creating an environment where the schools with the most fans/boosters can essentially buy recruits and transfers with “endorsements.” Sure the schools can’t directly control these payments, but it ain’t hard to figure what players a given school wants. In the current environment, the talent disparity for recruits will be magnified and schools are going to poach players from smaller schools any time a player breaks out.

Conference ****ery only made things worse, but I actually think the impact of those moves may be largely softened by the expanded playoff system which will eventually grow beyond 12.

It is a giant shit sandwich and 15-20 schools are going to make the rest of the schools eat almost all of it. Positive post, huh?

What is the solution for K-State? I don’t know, but I know what won’t work is trying to compete for the same athletes everyone else wants. We didn’t generally win those battles before and we sure as hell won’t win them now.

If we can’t get the best athletes to run an offense similar to most others, than we need to find athletes to run our unique offense a d defense - players that don’t fit easily into other school’s schemes. Now some positions need specific bodies - no one will win with quick 200lb DL, but we can scheme and build for players the biggest schools don’t want.

That is where Klieman is key - the way NDSU wins is by finding players that fit their schemes and then coaching them up. This is similar to Snyder 1.0, Boise in the 00s, etc.

The idea seems obvious, but like most things, college football is extremely complicated and doesn’t lend itself to simple solutions. That is why I’m glad we have a coach used to finding players no one else really wanted and turning them into winners, while still being fun to play for, something that was lacking in Snyder 2.0.

Kleiman is used to building a team to win the games they should win while preparing for surges where they beat teams who are at their level or better than them. This is exactly what we need right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News