ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Thoughts | No. 10 WVU 65, KSU 43

G

Grant Flanders

I got a bad feeling about this one once I heard about Nijel Pack being out with an eye infection. It meant the offense was going to be severely handicapped without their best threat on that end. However, what it also meant was the defense should have looked even better without the biggest liability on that end. And all those things happened.

The defense in the first half was stout for the Wildcats while the offense struggled turning it into a bogged down, grind it out game that K-State needed if they wanted to give themselves a chance. That would have been the gameplan even if Pack was available and since they had just came off a solid defensive performance against Oklahoma, it could be something they leaned into even more, and they did exactly that in the first half today.

The energy and offensive rebounding were apparent for both squads, K-State especially. But West Virginia won the second chance points 9-5 by halftime while leading the game 26-22 but the Wildcats held the rebound battle at 22-18 going into the second half. Fast-break points given up while not scoring any themselves didn't help.

Early in the second half was rough as the K-State defense broke down while the lack of scoring continued. They committed too many fouls right out of the locker room. By the under 8 minute timeout WVU was up 18 and the blowout I had a feeling of ultimately came to fruition.

Davion Bradford was key in avoiding foul trouble again and putting forth the best first half effort. He played alright in the second but this is when Culver really started to turn it on making life hard for Bradford and EZ in the paint.

Antonio Gordon rebounded the crap out of the ball and his energy always seems to be felt when a key piece is unavailable and he is asked to step in and take a larger role. He disappeared on the glass in the second half.

Mike McGuirl had some big shots to keep K-State from falling by double-digits and bring them back within 1 point in the first half. He failed in the second half though and the magic he had from the other night didn't get carried over to Morgantown for him.

Sean McNeil was the one Mountaineer K-State let shoot well from behind the arc all game. He was a big difference maker.

The first half was good to see. Pack being out left really no hope for this K-State offense. The defense and energy in the first half was promising. I think this game does prove even more that they need another efficient perimeter shooter to pair with Pack next season. If not just to make the offense more lethal with Pack available, but when he is out they have someone else they can look to to be a knock down guy.

Luke Kasubke really is ice cold at this point. I don't know if he should be judged on his play this season too harshly since he has missed most of the season and then was forced into Big 12 basketball instantly. But it would be nice to see at least a little positive from him on offense. Doesn't have to be a lot but he needs to start hitting at least one of these wide-open threes per game. As long as he stays healthy next season, it will be a make or break year to see whether he was just a deer in the headlights this season or if he truly is just not good enough at what he is supposed to be good at. I still have hope but got to start seeing something.

K-State just needs to dust themselves off and get ready for Iowa State. That matchup is next Saturday. You have to hope Pack will be ready and available as they still try to beat their conference win total from a year ago. That will be the final game before the Big 12 tournament begins on March 11.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News