ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Visit/Camp Weekend News and Notes

D

Derek Young

- I think there's a growing confidence that Kansas State could definitely take advantage of the rise in local talent in the 2020 class. They're not backing down, they're being aggressors on that front more so than they did with the prior class that I had the luxury of covering. Will it pay off? I'm of the belief that it certainly can if they sustain it. But I feel like they've already done more with this group than the 2018 and 2019 classes at similar stages.

- Hayden Pauls (of Emporia) was one of the 2020 in-state kids that they have already offered, that was on campus again over the weekend. I think he's a Wildcat no matter what happens. Probably the biggest threat at this point to be commit #1 in that cycle.

- Matthew Roberts, LB from Aquinas camped. No offer yet but I have been led to believe it could surely be happening very, very soon. The tussle for him will probably be a little bit lighter than for his younger brother Jaeden Roberts. But landing Matthew almost assures you get Jaeden so that could be a benefit for K-State. Jaeden also visited but did not camp b/c it was just a junior/senior event. Their mother did not graduate but attended Kansas State and the relationship between her and the staff is strong.

- It's super early but K-State obviously thoroughly impressed the top-notch Texas linemen they hosted in 2020's Trent Pullen and 2021's Bryce Foster. It is even more proof that they have made quite an effort to recruit underclassmen much more than they ever have. Should help relationship-building, immensely. Biggest changes in recruiting I've seen are the way they are offering and the way they are recruiting much more than just players in the current cycle.

- They offered San Antonio TE Konner Fox. They sit in pretty good shape there and landing him is probably an expectation at this point if nothing else were to change. It also means that Clay Cundiff would be wiped from the board.

- There was obviously quite the LB audition as well and, from what I gather, the two that probably made the strongest cases were Brendan Hardy and Caden McCormack. It would not surprise me to see one, or both, to grab an offer in the near future. Especially McCormack, who attended same high school in Nebraska as Nick Lenners.

- Two other local prospects without offers in 2020 class camped and are ones to keep a name an eye on in: DT James Gore of Park Hill and WR Luke Grimm of Ray-Pec.

- Strangely enough, a pretty good 2020 QB from Detroit was also there in Anthony Romphf and is definitely on the board and a candidate moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News