ADVERTISEMENT

What I think the Big 12 should do..... but won't. Scorched Earth Thread.

AndrewVonLintel

A solid starter
Nov 20, 2011
There are 3 main components that the Big 12 needs to decide on as we approach a new TV in the next few years. In 2025 we know that we will not have Texas and OU and we will be on a new TV deal without them.

What I would like to see is this:

1. Treat OU and UT as Junior Members within the rules of the existing contracts. In 2023 and 2024 I would like to see the conference not schedule their Rivalry Game in football. I want them to feel real pain from this. It also allows other Big 12 schools to get chances to beat OU and UT by giving an additional OU and a Texas game to other schools.

2. 2023 and 2024 I want to remain at 9 conference games with 14 teams before dropping to 8 conference games in 2025 (12 teams).
Big 6 Division of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Cincinnati, and West Virginia.
Southwest Division of Texas, BYU, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston and UCF.
With 14 teams we would play 6 division games (allowing every team to get either Texas or OU as divisional opponents before they leave)
Each team would get 3 non division games in 2023 and 3 non division games in 2024. Each team would thus get to play 6 out of the 7 teams from the other division. 7 pairs of teams would have to be announced that will miss each other for 2 years. Example Texas/OU, Kansas State/UCF, West Virginia/BYU, Kansas/Houston etc. Here is the fun part. By not letting Texas and OU play each other we would give the Entire loyal North Division a game against Texas. We would also get the Entire loyal South Division get a game against OU.

For Example: In 2023 Kansas State would play 6 games against division opponents and for example BYU, Tech, TCU. In 2024 they would play Texas, Houston, Baylor and miss UCF in this scenario during those 2 years.

In 2025, I would simply drop Texas and OU from the existing divisions and schedule like the Big 12 did previously. 8 conference games, 5 division games and play 3 games against non division opponents. Playing 2 games against each of the other division's schools in 4 years.

3. As far as a TV contract goes..... I want us to work with CBS. We need to get away from ESPN/Fox where we will always be the red headed stepchild. If we can get a National game or 2 on CBS each week and the rest on the Paramount we will be getting the best of both worlds. CBS would be focused on us for Saturdays. They would advertise Big 12 while showing NFL games. They are growing a popular streaming service that would be able to handle our lower rated content.

Conclusions:
I don't think much of this is going to happen....... I think the Big 12 executives will want to play nice with ESPN and it will cause several issues..... I think OU and UT and ESPN will have too much say in scheduling. I think ESPN will offer just a little bit more than CBS and keep us on contract with them and then treat us like crap. Our good games relegated to streaming and the Big 12 brand dying a slow or fast death nationally.
I wish we had a younger Bowlsby that was willing to see this fight to the end.

Edit: I changed Big 12 North to Big 6 Division. Big 12 South to Southwest Division. It is a nod to the Big 6 Conference (KSU, ISU, KU were members) and Southwest Conference (BU, Tech, Houston and TCU were members).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News