ADVERTISEMENT

Football What I'm hearing... Christmas Day

D

Derek Young

Some of this will probably sounds a bit repetitive and so it may be more house-keeping than anything.

1) We know that Skylar Thompson, Jahron McPherson and Boom Massie are returning for an extra year. We also know that Brock Monty, Justin Hughes, Harry Trotter, Briley Moore and Elijah Sullivan are not returning. I'd also share that I have little to no information on Tyler Burns, D.J. Render, Cody Fletcher, Blake Lynch and Kiondre Thomas.

2) Four other seniors were not mentioned above. Three of those I would not expect back and that is Justin Eichman, A.J. Parker and Drew Wiley. The other is Noah Johnson and I would expect him back, still.

3) Obviously, the team turned down a bowl bid. I was told that they were short at two positions due to a combination of attrition, offseason surgery, injury, covid and contact tracing. There was two positions that had zero scholarship players, or close to it, remaining.

4) I do think a few more high schoolers will be signed in February. Two of those will be guys that have been committed, in Topeka ATH Desmond Purnell and Manhattan DT Damian Ilalio. There will be a couple more additional high schoolers I believe and one to definitely keep an eye on is RB D.J. Giddens of Junction City.

5) They will be active on the transfer front, of course. They've already landed Eric Munoz of Utah State and I would expect another linebacker, too, though I'm not sure which one.

6) I think the most likely addition is tight end Josh Pederson of UL-Monroe and it wouldn't shock me if that was something that occurred very soon. Xavior Williams is also still available and a big target at CB from Northern Iowa. Right now, with nothing from Iowa, it would still seem the Wildcats are the favorite but he could take it into January.

7) Two other defensive backs that they really seem to like are Russ Yeast from Louisville and Julius Brents from Iowa. I haven't heard as much info on them in terms of how it is unfolding, but Kansas State wants them.

8) In addition to linebacker and the secondary, I think a defensive tackle could also be added. I think they want to shore that up a little more. I don't have any names at this time, though.

9) I think they're also pushing a little harder on the 2022 kids in-state, knowing the number crunch that is coming, and using that to their advantage. That's smart. It's what got them Tyson Struber at the timetable they did. I think 2022 could also be active. Kanak and Lockett are a couple that they could use that on to their advantage.

10) I said for months that it seemed like Joe Ervin was returning and they would likely depend on him in 2021, assuming there is spring football, and that is what I'm assuming. Klieman clearly confirmed his return. I've been hearing and sharing the same thing about Malik Knowles for the last one or two months and still feel that is the case, too.

11) Not only did Nick Ast put his name in the transfer portal, so did Bart Harris. So, it wouldn't surprise me to see them add a walk-on quarterback in the offseason.

12) I know there's been noise and chatter on Jace Ruder, but Kansas State doesn't make sense for Ruder and Ruder doesn't make sense for Kansas State so that would shock me if there was any truth to it. Shock me, really.

13) I'll just finish with some news on the transfer portal front. Don't be surprised if not all the transfers are added, announced and enrolled for spring semester. I think they'll be selective and not jump on any they aren't totally sure about for the sake of having someone. Last year, they wish they would have had a bit more patience in the process so that they would have had room for William Bradley-King, and the year before their patience did net them Jordon Brown. So, they know there's good players that will still come free, later, as well.

14) I'm bouncing around and back and forth so I apologize for the disorganization. I'm just remembering things on the fly and I've had a long week. I still think they're going to add an offensive tackle from the high school ranks, too.

14) Two players that didn't play last year that they think could contribute next year are walk-ons Ty Bowman and Jordan Schippers. It wouldn't surprise me if both ended up on scholarship, but I imagine only one will in the immediate future. Remember, Schippers was scholarshipped at Western Illinois and started as a true freshman for the FCS program. They're both at WR.

15) I'll finish with some true frosh that we weren't able to see much of that were described to me as "the real deal". That's still offensive lineman Talor Warner. It's also tight end Will Swanson. There's also been some positive buzz on defensive end Nate Matlack.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News