ADVERTISEMENT

What is Chrissy Carr Getting Herself Into?

Powersnax

On full scholarship
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2002
Marathon, WI
Syracuse's HC seems like a gem...sexual harassment allegations, abusive behavior on-court....

The article in The Athletic is very long, so I'm attaching the opening section only. Link is here is you have a subscription: https://theathletic.com/2678410/202...ens-basketball-ego-manipulation-fear-tactics/

Why the mass exodus from Syracuse women’s basketball? ‘Ego, manipulation … fear tactics’​

By Chantel Jennings and Dana O'Neil
comment-icon.png
save-icon.png

On March 23, the Syracuse women’s basketball team lost to top-seeded Connecticut in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. By April 20, 11 players, eight with more than one year of eligibility remaining, had announced their decision to transfer from the program. Among the defections: Kamilla Cardoso, the ACC rookie of the year; Kiara Lewis, the team’s leading scorer; and Emily Engstler, the one-time No. 9-rated player in her class.
Asked to address the exodus in a Zoom call with reporters, head coach Quentin Hillsman, 50, known for his fancy haberdashery and success as a recruiter, seemed unfazed. “We have some seniors that have opportunities to pursue other options,” Hillsman said, highlighting just three of the 11 transfer players. “They’re going to schools in our conference. That’s a compliment to us. I’m good. If I had a problem, I would tell you. We’re fine.”
The number of transfers from Syracuse’s women’s program this year is the most among any Division I program, men or women. Since 2018, 20 have left, the highest rate among any Power 5 women’s team during that span that has not endured a coaching change. Of the 14 top-100 recruits Hillsman has signed since 2015 – which is more than both UConn and South Carolina have signed over the same period – nine have left after two or fewer seasons. The question isn’t just why 11 women left Syracuse this year. It’s why players have been ditching the Orange for years.
The answer – gleaned from interviews with nine former players as well as 19 others, including team managers and staff members – is that Hillsman’ often-inappropriate behavior, including unwanted physical contact, threats and bullying, and the program’s generally pernicious culture, pushed many players and staff members to leave. After a 2016 run to the national championship game, Hillsman’s ego also ballooned – “I’m a star,’’ he told them frequently – and players felt his attention to their well-being shrunk. In an era when player support, mental health, trust and relationships are paramount, many players felt Hillsman treated them like replaceable cogs in his wheel.
Among the nine players who spoke to The Athletic, three said they experienced suicidal thoughts due to their experiences in the program, and a fourth said she experienced thoughts of self-harm. Five said they received therapy; two of those women were prescribed antidepressants.
The most troubling allegations leveled against Hillsman, who is Syracuse’s women’s basketball’s all-time winningest coach, included:
  • He often threatened the players, sometimes using vulgar language. “The way he threatened us, like we all knew he would never physically harm us, but he’d always be talking about beating our asses. Like, ‘I’ll f— you guys up. I’ll f— you up. It’s gonna be your ass if you f— this up,’” said one former player. More than 10 people described Hillsman acting in that manner.
  • At halftime of one game during the 2019-20 season, Hillsman went around the locker room, standing before every player and saying to each: “I don’t give a f— about you.” Then he flipped a table. Seven people present recalled this incident.
  • One player said she felt violated after Hillsman came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her, placing his hands near her pelvic region before brushing it off as a joke. Two others witnessed the incident.
  • Three women said they felt uncomfortable when, after a discussion about playing time, Hillsman kissed each of them on the forehead.
  • Hillsman allegedly created a staff position in 2019 and filled it with a longtime friend, Ronnie Enoch, who was dismissed from a previous coaching job after being accused of sexually harassing a player. Enoch subsequently made multiple Syracuse players and managers uncomfortable with his actions, including asking one woman if she was menstruating.
  • Two players described instances in which Hillsman refused their requests for water after running “Big Fives,” a series of punishing sprints. One manager went to offer one of the women water but Hillsman pushed away the bottle. “(The player) was literally gasping,’’ the manager recalls.
The Athletic also found that Hillsman’s biography in the team’s media guide and on its website includes embellishments and falsities about Hillsman’s playing career.
In a lengthy email to school officials, The Athletic detailed the allegations against Hillsman and the program and asked for comment from Hillsman, athletic director John Wildhack and others. The school responded with a statement from Wildhack that read, in part: “Syracuse athletics remains committed to providing a healthy, academically rigorous, competitive and rewarding environment to all our student-athletes. Any behavior – from our student-athletes, coaches and staff – that contradicts our commitment to these ideals is investigated thoroughly, and if necessary, appropriate action is taken.”
Players said they tried to alert school officials to the problems within the program. One player said she filled out and submitted an online questionnaire about her experience that was supplied to her by a school employee. In response to a question about the weaknesses of the coaching staff, she wrote: “Ego, manipulation, controlling, disrespectful to women/girls, anger issues, mood swings, gas-lighting (sic), lying, emotionally abusive, not caring, doesn’t communicate, doesn’t follow through, empty threats (fear tactics), anytime any girl is talked to we are disrespected in some way.” No one from the school followed up with her to learn more. Another player signed up for a Zoom meeting to explain her departure to administrators, but she said that when she logged on no one else joined the call.
“I was a great player. I was excited to play for a top program. We were top 10 when I committed, and all I wanted was to thrive,” one former player said. “It’s not just a bad culture or program. It’s so toxic. It doesn’t matter who you are, what your light is, if you’re a positive person, it’s going to break you.’’

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News