ADVERTISEMENT

'16s Breein Tyree and Xavier Sneed

Underdog Wildcat

On the depth chart
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
Tyree and Sneed appear to be two of the top targets for KSU hoops in the Class of '16 right now. Tyree is a sturdy and athletic 6'2" 185 CG from St. Joseph HS in Metuchen, NJ (that school has produced some big time ballplayers - Jay(son) Williams, the one who went to Duke; Karl Anthony Towns, Andrew Bynum). Tyree currently has offers from KSU, Iowa St, Creighton, Northwestern, USC, UMass and several others. He has impressed many observers with his play on his AAU team, Sports U, in the Under Armor circuit. He has told numerous reporters over the past week that he plans to visit KSU this fall. That is admittedly a way off and a lot can change between now and then, but it's good to hear the KSU staff is making inroads with a quality prospect like Tyree and that he is also looking forward to seeing the school in person. Pasted and linked below is an update from the latest stop on the UA circuit this past weekend:

"Sports U (NJ) class of 2016 guard Breein Tyree showed off his explosiveness and athletic ability in Session III. Tyree who plays point guard and shooting guard says he is being recruited as a point guard. He says USC, Kansas State, Northwestern, Iowa State, Creighton, DePaul and Xavier are recruiting him the most heavily as of now. He has two visits planned for now.

"I am planning an official visits to USC in late June and Kansas State in the fall," said Tyree.

He expanded upon USC and Kansas State.

"The USC coaching staff has shown a lot of interest in me during my junior year," he said. "They're on the other side of the country and they still came over twice to hang out with me at school. Coach Enfield is also one of the best coaches in college basketball. I'm very comfortable with Kansas State Head Coach Bruce Weber as well as the assistant coaches. They have state of the art facilities and have a great college town. I like their fan base and I could see my game excel there."

He plans on cutting down his list to five after the live periods in July. "

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1769327

Linked below are some highlights of Breein, FWIW, he is also a standout football player at St Joe's, all you have to do to see his FB highlights is google "Breein Tyree" and they'll pop up.

Sneed is a 6'5" 190 wing from Hazelwood Central HS in the St. Louis area. Sneed already took an unofficial visit to KSU last summer and the KSU staff has continued to recruit him since then. According to Rivals, Sneed is the 80th best prospect nationally in his class(4*) and has offers from KSU, Missouri, Wichita St, Xavier, Illinois, Cincy, Creighton, Minnesota, and others. He has repeatedly mentioned KSU as 1 of his leaders in his updates throughout his recruitment. He plays AAU ball for the loaded St. Louis Eagles in the Nike EYBL. He's really not the 1st option for that club, but has shown he can still make a big impact with his athleticism, BBIQ, and motor. He has also shown that he can knock down open jumpers from the perimeter. He was the primary option for his HS team and he averaged 19 pts and 7 boards per game this past season. Linked below is a report on Sneed from the last stop on the EYBL this past weekend.

"The St. Louis Eagles are of course one of the most talent loaded teams in the nation. Six-foot-6, 190 pound wing Xavier Sneed is a role player but he finds ways to contribute through effort and a constant work rate. Sneed is a long armed, athletic small forward that runs well and plays with a motor. His first big play against Expressions Elite was a breakaway rundown swatting a shot off the glass sprinting to protect the rim for his team.

The Eagles set a defensive tone early and Sneed played a big part being vocal off the ball and having some of the most active hands and feet at the midline you will see. The activity paid off when a pass went middle and didn't see Sneed in midline position so he jumped the pass and gave the kids a chance to yell. The next offensive possessions Sneed cut hard off a screen to the opposite baseline, the ball was rotated to Sneed, and he caught and made a pretty baseline 16 footer. He later made a trey in a similar fashion but most of the time he was throwing the right skip pass, the right high post entry, or hitting cutters for attempts.

Sneed showed a work ethic moving without the ball, defending actively, and going after loose balls, he showed a lot of game IQ with his ball movement, and the five field goals were scored in impressive ways. Also grabbed eight boards against Expressions Elite."

https://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768974

Sneed highlights linked below, these are a bit dated, but his follow dunk at around :18 shows his explosive athleticism. He is also a standout football player at Hazelwood Central.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3234599/highlights/134253379/v2

One final note about Sneed and his recruitment that probably should be mentioned is that Missouri is 1 of the schools that has offered him and Missouri recently hired his AAU coach from the SL Eagles, Corey Tate. Hiring a player(s) AAU coach is no guarantee that a prospect ends up at that particular school but the past has shown that it does provide an advantage. It might also be the case that Missouri is focusing on higher rated Eagles' prospects Jayson Tatum (5*), Tyler Cook 4*), and/or Jeremiah Tilmon (5* in '17). Another scenario might be that Missouri continues to be so bad that it just won't matter.

We'll see how it all plays out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News