ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Big 12 - starters to replace (& Miss St).

gvillecat

All-Big 12 performer
Nov 1, 2001
MISS STATE
Starters to replace:
3 DBs (including a 1st round draft pick – Abram)
3 DL (Sweat and Simmons were taken in the first round of the NFL draft).
1 LB (selected in the 6th round).

The Bulldogs also lost good depth on the D-line = 2 others seniors started at least one game and played in all 13 games last season.

3 of the 7 defensive starters that Miss State must replace, were selected in the first round of the NFL draft.

2 O-line (both players started every game, one was selected in the 2nd round of NFL draft).
1 TE
1 WR
1 QB (though the Bulldogs have an experienced QB ready to step-in).

>> 2018 K-State vs Miss State:
The teams exchanged field goals in the 1st quarter and then the Bulldogs put together a TD drive (10 to 3). K-State moved the ball into Miss State territory and Delton threw an interception. Three plays later = TD Miss State (17 to 3) = game over.
K-State couldn’t stop Miss State’s ground game and got thumped, 31 to 10.

>> 2019 = as noted, the Bulldogs have a TON of starters to replace on defense (including 3 first round draft picks). I would call this game a toss-up if the game was in Manhattan, but I gotta give the edge to Miss State (an upset win would be awfully sweet).

OKLAHOMA STATE
Starters to replace >>
4 D-line (Brailford left early)
2 LBs

1 O-line (and 1 part-time starter)
1 WR (Tyron Johnson left early)
1 RB (Justice Hill left early)
1 QB (Cornelius is gone)

Okie State had two players taken in the NFL draft (Hill & Brailford).
6 of the front 7 on defense will need to be replaced + new QB + no Justice Hill.
Okie State will likely struggle some in 2019.

>> 2018 K-State vs Okie State:
One of K-State’s better performances, CATS won easily.

>> 2019 = CATS beat the mullet!

BAYLOR
Starters to replace:
2 DBs
2 D-line

2 O-line (and 3 additional lineman that played quite a bit)
1 RB, Jalen Hurd **
1 WR

Starting QB, Charlie Brewer, returns for the Bears.
Brewer passed for 3,000 yards and had 19 TD passes & 9 – INTs in 2018.

** Hurd was a combo player -- 5th in team rushing, but was a huge part of Baylor’s passing attack in 2018 (946 receiving yards). Hurd was taken in the 3rd round of the NFL draft as a WR (Baylor’s only draft pick).

>> 2018 Baylor vs K-State:
I still contend that Zuber’s forearm brushed the turf before the ball came out of his hand (2nd half kick-off). The broadcasters were surprised that the review booth over-turned the no-fumble call to begin the second half. Just a HUGE play in the game. A game that K-State shoulda, coulda, woulda won. K-State lost by 3.

>> 2019 = the home team wins =CATS !

TCU
Starters to replace:
4 DBs with a combined 36 starts (though, 2 DBs return, who started every game last season).
2 D-Line (and a 3rd lineman that started 7 games).
2 LBs

** TCU’s defense had so many injuries last season, it’s difficult to determine who the starters would have been without the injuries last season (saying TCU has to replace 8 starters on defense is not exactly accurate.

1 O-line
2 WRs

TCU started three different QBs last season.

3 players were drafted (Banogu, Collier, & Summers).

>> 2018 TCU vs K-State:
Special team mistakes abound.
With the game tied 7 to 7, K-State had the ball 1st and 10 at TCU’s 15 yard-line.
TCU holds K-State to a FG attempt at their 9 yard line.
Botch snap/ hold – Colby Moore throw INT into the endzone.
The CATS went on to miss another FG attempt –AND- a missed extra point.
Thompson and Zuber had CRITICAL fumbles in the game.
K-State lost by 1 point.

>> 2019 – TCU may have QB issues in 2019. I got K-State winning a close one in BSFS.

OKLAHOMA
Starters to replace:
1 DB
1 DL (left early)
1 LB

4 O-Line (2 left early)
1 WR (left early)
1 RB (left early)
1 QB (left early)

OU had 8 players taken in the NFL Draft (including #1 overall = Murray)

I expect the Sooners to plug-in good players, though I’m not sure Jalen Hurts will win a Heisman for the Sooners. Replacing 4 of 5 starting O-lineman may create some chemistry issues early in the season.

>> 2018 OU vs K-State:
One of the ugliest games in the Snyder 2.0 era (if not the ugliest).
It didn’t help that OU was K-State’s first game without Duke Shelley, not that Duke would have changed the outcome (ha), but perhaps not quite as ugly.

>> 2019 = with the number of starters that OU has to replace and with the game in Manhattan, I would like to pick the upset, but I gotta go with OU in a much tougher game than 2018.

KANSAS
Starters to replace:
1 DB
3 D-Line
2 LBs (and another LB that started 6 games)

2 O-Line
1 WR
1 QB (Bender started 10 games for ku last season).

I just don’t have much to say about ku, I believe Les Miles is going to be a train wreck (similar to front butt). Time will tell.

>> 2018 K-State vs ku:
Ended up being a close game. K-State benefited from some ku mistakes (penalties), which helped the CATS close out the game. Ku was playing better down the stretch of the season. Gave Texas a good game to close out the Beaty era.

>> 2019 = Ku has some nice pieces to work with and the game is in Larryville, but again, I believe Miles is going to be a train wreck. 6 starters on defense & 4 starters on offense to replace and no-clear cut starting QB. CATS win again!

TEXAS

Starters to replace:
2 D-Line
3 DB
3 LB

3 OL
1 RB
1 TE
1 WR

Of note: the 3 starting O-lineman that Texas must replace, started all 14 games for the Horns in 2018.
Top 3 tacklers are gone (4 of Top 5).
The Horns’ best WR left early, caught 9 TDs.

No doubt that Texas recruits great talent, but the Horns could be rough around the edges to begin the 2019 season.

Texas had 2 players drafted (Omenihu & Boyd)

>> 2018 K-State vs Texas:
The CATS dropped an easy TD pass at the end of the 1st half. Delton didn’t throw a good pass, but it should have been caught. K-State had a chance in the 4th quarter but couldn’t get a stop on defense to give the offense a final chance to win the game.
Of course the question that many K-State fans had, why did Thompson not start the game?
K-State lost by 5.

>> 2019 = can K-State regain the hex they once had on Texas? If the game was in Manhattan, I would feel better about K-State’s chances, it’s not, Texas wins.

West Virginia
Starters to replace:
2 DBs
2 D-line (and a part-time starter)
1 LB (David Long, left early for the draft).

1 O-line (and another lineman that started 7 games).
2 WRs
1 QB Grier is gone !

West Virginia had 4 nfl draft picks (Grier, Long, Jennings, Wesco, Cajuste).

New coach and a new QB should take WV down a couple of notches in 2019.

Still surprised that Dana H. left for Houston… is Morgantown really that bad or was it simply a money thing (or maybe WV fans didn’t like Dana) ??

>> 2018 WV vs K-State:
The CATS were never in the game. WV started slow, but scored 2 TDs late in the 2nd quarter and added two TDs in the 3rd quarter = game over.

>> 2019 K-State avenges a bad loss from a year ago and Skylar finally has a good game against the Mountaineers. CATS win!

Texas Tech
Starters to replace:
2 LBs
2/3 DBs -- started a combined 23 games last season

1 O-line (and a part-time starting O-lineman)
2 WRs – one, who declared early for the NFL Draft (Antonie Wesley)

Starting kicker – Hatfield also graduated.

Of note: Tech brings back a talented freshman QB from a year ago, Alan Bowman.
In 7 starts (played in 8 games), Bowman threw for 2,638 yards + 17 TDs + 7 INTs

Tech had 1 player drafted (Dakota Allen-LB)

>> 2018 K-State vs Texas Tech:
One of K-State’s better performances on the year. The CATS dominated the game. A game that Pretty Boy needed to win to keep his job. If I remember right, it was Tech’s worst offensive performance of the season.

>> 2019 – If the game was in Manhattan, I would give the CATS the nod, I’m calling this game a toss-up.

IOWA STATE

Starters to replace:
2 DBs (and a 3rd that started 3 games).
1 LB

2 WRs (one that left early)
1 TE
1 RB (Montgomery left early = STUD)

Of note: it appears that Iowa State brings back every starter on their offensive and defensive lines.
The Clones also return their starting freshman QB, Brock Purdy.

Iowa State should be better in 2019, as long as they don’t read about how great they are going to be. Must avoid complacency, something the Clones haven’t had to worry about for a long time.
Iowa State had 2 players selected in the NFL draft (Montgomery & Butler).

2018: Iowa State vs K-State:
The CATS were playing a beautiful game in Ames and things fell apart in the 4th quarter. The meltdown started on a strange play when an ISU defender stripped Thompson in a rugby scrum and ran the fumble in for a TD. K-State simply didn’t finish the game.
K-State lost by 4.

>> 2019 --- I would like to call this game a toss-up, but the Clones return 6 of their front 7 on defense (and they had a pretty good D in 2018), the Clones will win a hard fought game in BSFS.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
I’ve got the CATS winning 7 games (5 Big 12 wins).
1 toss-up game
4 losses

8 & 4 or 7& 5

GO STATE !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News