ADVERTISEMENT

A story for old time, hardcore Baseball fans

Dazzler

All-Big 12 performer
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2002
Years ago when charlie Finley owned the KC A`s he determined that the Yankees had a big advantage in Yankee Stadium due to the short RF fence. I believe that it was 296 at the time and the Yanks were loaded with LH batters, as they are today.
I don`t remember the year but Charlie was fixated on equalizing the advantage at old municipal Stadium in KC. He called the yanks advantage their pennant porch, so he called his the One-Half pennant porch. He attached a fence about a foot from the rf foul line at 350 feet the dimension of the rf fence. He brought the fake fence on a diagonal to 296 and across to nearly right Center field. This was on opening day. I remember sitting there while the umpires called the American league president. We fans waited for nearly an hour while workmen tore down his one-half pennant porch. The game started about 1 hour late. Well guys the moral of the story is the same now as it was then, THE YANKS RECEIVE FAVORED TREATMENT NOW JUST AS THEN!
Sometime since that event a rule had been passed that rf dimensions couldn`t be that short, so what happened? The Yanks built a new park with nearly the same dimensions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News