ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis of storming the court

Hitzy1

On the depth chart
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2008
St. Joseph, MO
I was reading many threads last night arguing two sides of court storming.

One side says: we should act like we have been there before. Storming the court doesn't need to happen every time we beat a top 10 team. I saw a stat that some posted that showed that we are something like 8-3 against OU in the last 11 games. Thus, storming the court is not necessary because beating OU is not an uncommon occurence.

The other side says: let the students have fun. Let them celebrate the win. They ask "why can't current students make the kind of memories that we made while we were students?"

Here's the thing that I believe has caused some friction over this topic. Storming the court/field used to be something done when a team beat a rival for the first time in a while or when they beat the #1 ranked team at the time.

It is now something that is more about just celebrating a good win, being in the spotlight, taking selfies on the basketball court or football field with a group of people and putting out a picture on Facebook or Instagram to say "I was there". There were a number of court stormings yesterday and they are becoming more and more common place. It is not unusual to see a higher ranked team's fans storm the court after beating an unranked team.

Let's just come out and say it - storming the court is no longer a special event done to celebrate a monumental win. It is all about having fun. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. Students should be able to have fun, celebrate, make memories, enjoy their team's win. Let 'em storm the court. Make safety a priority first.

It just seems like a lot of banter back and forth on this issue is in large part to a misunderstanding between both sides that storming the court/field is not what it used to be. It doesn't mean the same thing that it meant even 10 years ago.

One final thing I will say on this. I am of the ilk that that thinks court stormings don't need to happen after every win over a top 25 team. That being said, a court storming for this fan base is not a bad thing. We have lost some momentum over the last couple of years with attendance and excitement around the program. We are no longer a consistent top 25 team. We are not in consideration for hosting another College Game Day on ESPN. But yesterday's atmosphere was top notch. The fans were loud. The players were feeding off the crowd. It was a true home court advantage. A court storming after beating #1 OU would only serve to rebuild excitement over the basketball program. The players and Weber would have loved to celebrate with the fans on the court, thus their disappointment after the game.

Sorry for the book. Go Cats!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News