ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor fallout & K-State

EsquireKSU08

On the depth chart
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2009
Because I have a feeling this will be a topic of discussion over the next several weeks, I'll go ahead and nip it in the bud now.

Obviously, one would expect an ensuing fallout now that the hammer has been dropped on Briles and the Baylor football program. Committed recruits could de-commit and players within the program now may decide to transfer, both of which always bring up questions here about who K-State may or may not be involved with.

As far as recruits go, that's simple because there's nothing binding them with the Bears yet. However, there also aren't any current Baylor commits that K-State has or had a prior history with. None of them were even offered by K-State. Not saying the Wildcats won't pounce on any if they were to de-commit, but I'd have no way of telling who they would if such a thing happens either. Guess we'll just have to keep an eye out.

On the more tricky topic of transfers, a few things would have to happen...

First, of course, would be Bill Snyder and his staff agreeing to take on the possible baggage that could come with accepting the transfer of a Baylor player. That's not to say all Baylor players are guilty of the actions of some, but at the same time is that a look Snyder wants to be associated with in his final year(s) as head coach? Only he and the staff can answer that.

Second, if Snyder did recognize that there was a quality person/player he was willing to accept via transfer, the next hurdle would come with the NCAA & Big 12. According to the conference rules handbook, guidelines for intra-conference transfers are as follows:
Intraconference Transfers. The eligibility of a student-athlete who transfers directly or indirectly from one Conference Member Institution to another shall be determined by NCAA regulations and the following Conference requirements. In the event NCAA 28 regulations require the student-athlete to complete one full academic year in residence before being eligible to compete in a sport, the student-athlete shall also forfeit one season of competition in that sport. The waiver of a NCAA transfer regulation for a student-athlete does not negate the need for a waiver of this section.

Further more, there was also this:
Waivers/Exceptions. The Council of Faculty Athletics Representatives shall have full power to grant waivers of and exceptions to Conference rules for compelling extenuating circumstances. As to Conference eligibility matters, the FAR Council may delegate the authority to grant waivers on a temporary basis to the Interpretations Committee.
Special Cases. The Faculty Athletics Representatives shall have full power to act on all special cases not covered in these Rules.

What would the NCAA & Big 12 do? Not sure. Referencing a similar situation from Penn State/Sandusky, the NCAA opted to waive typical penalties for players requesting transfers so they wouldn't have to sit a year. I could see it being the same for this instance as well. However, even during such turmoil in Happy Valley, only 9 guys decided to leave so I wouldn't expect a complete roster overhaul at Baylor either.

That said, IF - and I say IF because right now nobody has any way of knowing where these players (or K-State) stand - there were Baylor players to watch closely on the transfer market from a K-State perspective, the four I would zone in on would be Mo Porter, Travon Blanchard, Jameson Houston, and Riley Daniel.

Hypothetically speaking:
  • Porter would help the OL immediately from a depth standpoint. K-State targeted him twice, once out of high school and again (somewhat) in junior college. He was supposed to compete for a starting job this year but was beaten out on the initial Spring depth chart, so perhaps he'd look for greener pastures elsewhere? As a senior, he could also be close to graduating and may be able to complete summer courses to become a graduate transfer? Again, just guesses.
  • Blanchard was damn close to flipping to K-State at the last minute back in 2013. I vividly remember sharing text messages with the hybrid defender in late January of that year about what was to be a secret visit to Manhattan before Signing Day. Of course, that never happened and Blanchard ended up sticking with his commitment. He's turned into one of the most active defenders in the league, tagged as an honorable mention All-Conference performer last fall.
  • Houston actually wavered enough on his BU commitment from the summer of 2014 to take a January visit to K-State, but it wasn't enough to flip him. Just a redshirt freshman, he has already secured a starting spot at cornerback for 2016 in Waco.
  • Daniel earned a late offer in 2015 from K-State, just as his recruitment was scorching. Had some other programs like Baylor and Florida not come along, he mentioned the option of visiting Manhattan weeks before Signing Day but the bigger programs were too much to pass on. The youngest of this possible transfer quad, he may be the one with the least connections holding him back from leaving BU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News