ADVERTISEMENT

College or local rock Bands Kansas

ksu72RG

Almost on scholarship
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2001
Back in the 60's there were many rock bands made up of college students or local bands that went on tour in the summer around the state. Also some bands not connected to colleges also did the circuit. In the winter they would play dances at Frats, and sororities, or local bars, or even rent a public space and charge at the door. Most of those better known bands back then advertised on KOMA , Oklahoma City. Some of the band names off the top of my head Were Eric and the Norsemen, Kansas, Spider and the Crabs, Fabulous Flippers, Red Dogs, King Midas and the Mufflers, and many more I'm sure others can name that I have left off. I really admired Eric and the Norsemen and one or the original members was from my home town. Although a KU band they were very good and always put on a good show and dance. They played often at K-State . I think they played at the Experimental Electric Farm once or twice and some Aggieville spots too as well as the Frats.. I admired them so much that we formed a band of our own in 1965 until 1967 called the Night Walkers. We did local dances in SW Kansas as a high school rock band and did several home-comings, a couple of proms and such all over SW. Kansas. The original four members are still alive, Two graduated from K-State and we still get together about once a year for a weekend to play our old music.
I was wondering if there are still college or Kansas rock bands out there still traveling around the state doing dances like they did back in the day. I haven't noticed much in our area except for Mexican bands and country and western music. I have nothing against those kind of bands, but was wondering if the Garage band days of Rock and Roll are truly over. Any imput or personal memories?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News