ADVERTISEMENT

Dajuan Gordon....

Eric Bossi

All-Big 12 performer
Nov 19, 2001
Bruce Weber and the Wildcats done good here. Real good.

I just finished up two days in Colorado Springs for the USA Basketball U19 National Team tryouts and it was a great setting. Elite high school seniors (including Rivals.com's top three Evan Mobley, Cade Cunningham and Jalen Green) mixed in with incoming college freshmen and some sophomores too. Highly competitive, high energy and very good coaching from Weber and his staff.

I don't know if Dajuan Gordon will make the team, it's going to be a tough 12 to crack. But, he more than backed up his invite and proved he belonged.

Don't get me wrong, Gordon isn't near as polished as many of the 30 or so players in attendance, but man is there a lot to like. He's athletic as all get out, plays with a serious motor, is tough and I believe he has the potential to be a top line offensive and defensive player in the Big 12. This was the most extended and up close look I've gotten at him and after a few days I think it could be argued he's the most naturally gifted guy that Weber has lured to Manhattan yet.

He's got to get stronger, tighten up his handle a bit and get some minor issues with his jumper ironed out (inconsistent release), but he's also got the tools to make a pretty big impact as a freshman. Something I noticed about him that bodes well for his future is something a lot of people probably wouldn't bother watching but always stands out to me. Every time there was a break in the action (for water, short break, whatever) he could be found getting up shots, doing something with his handle or pulling a manager over to shag balls or work with him. He seems to be a sponge who was looking to soak up all he could from this opportunity.

I'd be pretty damn excited about this dude if I was a Wildcats fan. I don't know if he's quite the playmaker that Dejounte Murray is/was, but a lot about Gordon's game reminded me of a young Murray.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.