ADVERTISEMENT

Diarra Comments on Frans Criticism

verywildcat

A solid starter
Gold Member
Mar 15, 2018
From the Eagle.
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article239991598.html

Cartier Diarra responds with big game after ‘very false’ criticism from ESPN analyst

Cartier Diarra responded to a week of criticism by playing one of his best games of the season and then backed that up with some strong words on Saturday at Hilton Coliseum.

None of it was enough for the Kansas State basketball team to snap a losing streak and beat Iowa State, but Diarra gave fans a few reasons to believe his focus is completely with the Wildcats following a 73-63 loss to the Cyclones, contrary to what ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla suggested on Monday.

“Very false,” Diarra said when asked about Fraschilla’s words. “I am a very realistic person, and I am here to play for K-State and I am here to win games. That’s my goal, and right now we’re not winning. I know what it takes to get to that next level and winning is one of (those things). I have got to win some games, and that is where my focus is right now.”

What did he do differently?

“Just staying confident,” Diarra said. “I know I missed my first three, and I do know that I continue to work on my jump shot all the time. Before the game it felt amazing, so I just kept shooting. I drove in there at certain times and got to the free-throw line. I wish I made a few more of those, but I am just trying to stay aggressive. I probably should have been more aggressive, but it is what it is.”

K-State coach Bruce Weber appeared to lose confidence in Diarra when Weber removed the junior guard from the starting lineup four straight games, but Weber gained renewed faith in Diarra on Saturday and inserted him back into the starting five.

Diarra had something to prove.

“I’m motivated every night,” Diarra said. “Coach kind of told me that I’m back in the starting lineup and I’m going to play a little more minutes. I just wanted to try and execute and do as much as I can help the team win.”

The results were mixed. On one hand, Diarra’s stat line was better than everyone else who stepped on the court. On the other hand, he was unable to help the Wildcats start the game strong. In fact, they fell impossibly behind by 21 points before the second media timeout arrived.

Once he found his rhythm and made a few shots, the Wildcats fought back to pull within four in the second half. But they were unable to get over the hump and faded with the game on the line.

“I start him, but what happens at the start of the game? Where were we? We’re down by a massive amount of points,” Weber said. “So I guess it wasn’t a smart decision. But to his credit he kept playing and got us going and got us back in the game.”

K-State (9-14, 2-8 Big 12) has followed that pattern in several games this season, and it was unable to break the cycle against Iowa State (10-13, 3-7).

Perhaps things will be different when the Wildcats host last-place Oklahoma State on Tuesday.
Diarra made 5 of 11 shots from three-point range against the Cyclones and got to the free-throw line eight times, wisely driving toward the basket and taking fouls rather than trying to pull off low-percentage hero plays. If he keeps doing that, K-State will have a chance in that game.

Maybe last week fired him up.

“I hope so,” Weber said. “That is why I started him. I said, ‘It’s your chance. Just go out there and play.’ He still has got to be better if we are going to win. He had good numbers, but he still has to be a little better and make better reads.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News