ADVERTISEMENT

Exhibition No. 1 - Emporia State

brettregan

On full scholarship
Jul 30, 2012
It's basketball season!! I know there are plenty of people like me that are always excited for it and some that are really pretty meh when the topic comes up. Regardless, K-State will host Emporia State at 7 p.m. Friday inside Bramlage Coliseum for the first of two exhibition games leading up to the November 13 opener against Maryland-Eastern Shore.

K-State will also host two prospects this weekend.

There have been a lot of good discussion threads leading up to today about Emporia State, potential redshirts, the starting five and injury report.

K-State game notes can be found here: http://www.kstatesports.com/news/k-state-opens-exhibition-play-vs-emporia-state-friday-10-29-2015

Emporia State does have a solid list of Division-I transfers and weirdly enough, I played for Micah Swank's dad, David, in high school. He was also the Headmaster at Trinity Academy when I went to school there.

For those that may not know, K-State elected to play two exhibition games instead of having a "secret scrimmage this year. The idea was to get these newcomers in front of fans instead of playing against a Power 5 team in an empty gym. Normally that takes place when you have an experienced team and the Wildcats are far from that. I think it was a solid move. Experience is key.

With that said, in the past, Weber generally uses these contests and scripts minutes for each player. That likely won't be the case. The fourth-year coach talked about using more of a rotation in this one so the players could get a feel for it. Also not a bad idea.

The projected lineup of Stokes, Edwards, Iwundu, Wade and Hurt is exactly what I thought it would be last week. Weber said the older guys will play if they are healthy, and I think it's important to incorporate some younger players into the starting lineup. Those five are honestly the best option right now. Stokes has been a pleasant surprise, Edwards and Iwundu have stepped up their game, Wade is talented but needs to adjust a little more, and Hurt has improved. Bringing the other players, who are either still learning or recovering from injuries, is the smart move. The goal is to get ready for the season. It's just an exhibition game.

Injury report:

Dante Williams (OUT - foot) - The young big man is still working to get into shape after being in a boot for most of the summer. He's just not ready yet.

D.J. Johnson (Questionable - foot) - I'd guess D.J. could play if he absolutely had to, but the need isn't there at the moment. The plan all along has been to see his minutes increase as time goes on so if he doesn't play, it's just for precautionary reasons. He's been practicing at full strength for a little while.

Carlbe Ervin II (Questionable - knee) - It all depended on how he did this week whether or not he would give it ago. Again, this is about being healthy for the season so the staff isn't going to take any chances. He practiced this week in hopes of playing. The Wildcats need him down the road more than an October exhibition contest.

To answer the redshirt question, I don't think anything is set. The media guide indicates that Isaiah Maurice and walk-on Pierson McAtee will redshirt. McAtee definitely will. No final decision has been made for Maurice. When I posed the question to Weber, he indicated it was a different situation, meaning it could depend on need or his development or it might be precautionary to make sure his transcript from prep school is 100 percent good to go, which isn't totally uncommon these days. It was very open-ended. I'm not suggesting it is one thing over the other, but those are the things I could possibly think of.

I have no idea what this game will look like. No one has obviously seen this K-State team play anyone but itself and the Wildcats haven't really had everyone healthy on the same court together. There will be growing pains, but this is the start of a fresh season, thank goodness.

If there is anything I missed, holler, and I'll do my best to clear whatever up leading up to game time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.