ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion and why it's bad for KSU

catNhat99

On full scholarship
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2002
Colorado
For those that aren’t connecting the dots on why the Big 12 expansion is bad for KSU I thought I’d lay it out for you as clearly as I possibly can. At some point most believe we’ll end up with a 64 team super conference with 4 divisions. The other big 4 conferences will have the leverage to get all their teams in if the Big 12 implodes due to Tx or OU leaving.

ACC=14
MiamiLouisvilleVirginiaSyracuseWake ForestDukeBoston CollegeVirginia TechGeorgia TechPittsburghNorth CarolinaNorth Carolina StateClemsonFlorida State
Big=14
WisconsinPenn StateOhio StatePurdueMinnesotaIowaNebraskaIllinoisIndianaRutgersMichigan StateMarylandMichiganNorthwestern
Pac=12
Arizona StateOregon StateUCLAColoradoStanfordOregonArizonaCaliforniaWashingtonUSCUtahWashington State
SEC=14
Texas A&MAuburnMississippi StateKentuckySouth CarolinaArkansasFloridaMissouriOle MissAlabamaLSUGeorgiaVanderbiltTennessee

+Notre Dame

=55 teams already in the 64 teams/4 division discussion

From the Big 12 OU/Texas/KU/OSU/TT will most likely get included due to OU/OSU being tied together and TX/TT being tied together.

=60 teams included at this point.

I like KSU’s chances at this point if the only P5 teams left are ISU/WV/TCU/Baylor. TCU wouldn’t even be in the discussion if the Big 12 wouldn’t have helped build them up over the last several years but as it stands today I think they might be in even before KSU. WV has a geographical advantage and are the flagship University for the state. ISU has academics. Baylor shot themselves in the foot but before that had a great chance.

BYU would be the other team in the running even without a Big 12 invite.

Now we want to build up a Cinci, Ucon, BYU, CSU, or Memphis. Once in a P5 conference they’ll have the same leverage that KSU will have. Ucon is the state’s flagship university and has ESPN pull. Cinci and Memphis can argue that they are a better geographical fit. Today it might be hard to see how they’d be added over KSU but give them Big 12 money and exposure and that will look a lot different in 4-6 years.

This expansion might be good for KSU in the short term but in the long run it could land us in the Mt West or Conf USA. We essentially change the equation from 6 teams vying for 5 spots to possibly 10 teams looking to be included. Political and monetary clout will come into play and who really knows where the chips will fall. Not a good feeling to have when we have no University President currently (it’ll be filled by then but by who?) and an AD that is interviewing for other gigs constantly. Plus, what will our revenue generating sports look like at that pt? Snyder will be retired and BBall isn’t headed in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News