ADVERTISEMENT

Football Final Walkthrough: Sunflower Showdown week

D

Derek Young

Here are the final updates that I heard about and can write about as we get closer to kick.

1) We hinted at it before. Of course, the coaching staff continue to say and not to rank one game ahead of the other when dealing with their players and media. It sure seems like, without saying it, they have behind closed doors. Coaches seemed a little more intense and have really been burning the midnight oil from the sound of it.

When they told the players it would be the hardest week of prep of their life, it sounds like they meant it. Not from a wear them down at practice standpoint, but a preparation standpoint.

2) Jordon Brown practiced Wednesday and Thursday. James Gilbert practiced Thursday. I have one source saying that his info is that both will play and another one saying Gilbert will definitely play. And I feel good about both sources.

But that is why I was still holding back some on their availability some and hadn't outright said they would play. They were both practicing very little this week (as Gilbert has for about a month) and they finished the game quite gimpy last week. But, it sounds like they're going to go.

3) I don't know how much Boom Massie will go. He's been limited quite a bit the past handful of games and Hazelton mentioned it for the first time this week. Not sure if that is a sound of anything. If Khalid Duke plays early, it is probably a sign that Boom is still pretty banged up.

4) I believe Phillip Brooks took a big step forward in terms of health. We'll see how many snaps that means.

5) Malik Knowles should be fine. I wonder if this is the first week where he isn't on a snap count at all. He saw only 21 snaps vs TCU but 17 were in the second half. He took a step forward against Oklahoma with 32.

6) Have been told by multiple people it was much louder than usual and pretty animated at the team hotel last night. Furthermore, it has been abundantly clear that they were able to turn the page from the Oklahoma game. If anything goes wrong, that won't be the reason.

Have fun!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News