ADVERTISEMENT

? for those who follow it much more closely than me...college coaches academic credentials...

Leland

All-American performer
May 29, 2001
It seems to me that not too long ago, virtually every head coach in college basketball and college football had an undergraduate degree plus at least one graduate degree. Am I correct on this, or remembering incorrectly? It seems like I have even heard interviews with coaches in the past where they say things like "well, I knew I would never be a head coach unless I got a graduate degree, so I enrolled at blah blah blah school". (For the record, I don't care whether our coaches have grad degrees or not).

I read/watched everything I could find about Tang on the internet, and one thing I noticed is that he doesn't have a graduate degree, and in fact, he didn't finish his undergraduate degree until 2007. Furthermore, that degree was from an online college, Charter Oak State College. At least that's what it appears to me.

Again, I personally couldn't care less what his academic credentials are, but perhaps many schools or hiring committees/firms do consider this when hiring coaches? If so, it might partially explain why he has been an assistant for so long. Not that I care that he has been an assistant for so long.

Regardless, I would guess this requirement, if it ever existed, has eroded over time. I would expect guys like Juwan Howard and Anfernee Hardaway don't have graduate degrees and it would seem silly to ask them up get one.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Vet and QUIST
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News