ADVERTISEMENT

Football Four Downs: KState escapes, knocks off TCU

D

Derek Young

DOESN’T MATTER HOW IN 2020
My motto so far in the 2020 season is that how you are able to find wins doesn’t matter. This would fall into that basket because it was not pretty. Kansas State was the far better team on the football field at Amon G. Carter Stadium but still had to endure some stress before the victory was captured.

They made it far more complicated at the finish than it had to be. Will Howard tripped on a great play call that would have iced the game. They had to defend two hail mary tosses into the end zone because of the penalty on Wyatt Hubert.

However, wins in 2020 are valuable, no matter what. Now, they have multiple weeks to prepare for Kansas and that can be an eternity for a true freshman quarterback if he is forced to play much longer.

FITTING THE DEFENSE WAS ABLE TO CLOSE IT OUT
The last nine quarters from the Kansas State defense have been fantastic. They shut out Oklahoma in the fourth quarter. They shut out Texas Tech in the first half. And they gave up seven points each half versus TCU.

That kind of defense wins a lot of games in the offensive-centric Big 12. If they can continue that, some of the doubters for Joe Klanderman should disappear. They should probably disappear, anyways.

The only struggle that they have had in the last nine games was in the third quarter against Texas Tech when they gave up three consecutive scoring drives.

I thought that the best players on that side of the ball today were the cornerbacks and nickels – Justin Gardner, Ekow Boye-Doe, A.J. Parker and Will Jones.

CONSERVATIVE THIRD DOWN CALLS
I had a number of folks in my twitter mentions complaining about the conservative play-calling on first down. I would vehemently disagree with that notion, to be honest. They were far more aggressive on first down, today, than in any other game thus far.

They were, however, extremely conservative on second and third down. So, it was the opposite. At times, it was frustrating, and I probably had those feelings here and there, too.

However, I think they were just content in taking their shots on first down with a true freshman quarterback and not necessarily pushing the envelope when they were backed up against a wall in later downs.

Most of that, probably, was in part because of how well the defense was playing. Even head coach Chris Klieman said he didn’t consider going for it on fourth down after Will Howard had tripped just because he knew how his defense was playing. He even went as far as to say that his defense was “too good”.

3-0, KU NEXT
K-State sits in a promising position atop the Big 12 standings. They are 3-0, which is tied for the league lead with Iowa State, their Farmageddon nemesis. Oklahoma State is also unscathed, but they were on a bye week and remain at 2-0.

It is a great spot for the Wildcats. Not only are they one of three schools with an unblemished record in conference play, they have a bye week upcoming that will be pretty important if they are to continue to groom a true freshman for the starting job under center.

It doesn’t stop there, either. They shouldn’t look ahead, but I will. Following the bye week is two very winnable games. They host Kansas in Bill Snyder Family Stadium and play West Virginia on the road.

A 5-0 start in Big 12 play is well within reach. If they can capitalize on that opportunity, then dreaming about Arlington becomes practical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News