ADVERTISEMENT

K-State vs Bowling Green Schematic GIF Party

ksu_FAN

All-American performer
Nov 21, 2017
Bowling Green was likely a worse opponent than Nicholls, but I didn't expect the offense to maintain the dominance to quite this level. This week we saw more explosive plays with nearly flawless efficiency on the 7 drives that featured the #1s on offense (6 TDs, 1 FG). The personnel shifting wasn't quite as dramatic (still 7 formations in the first 15 plays on the first 2 drives), but the mix of run and pass made up for it with 4 play action passes in the first 9 plays and 10 pass plays in the first 21 snaps.

Drive 1

D1-P1-PA-Bubble.gif

Play 1 featured a 4 receiver set and used counter trey (2 pullers) play action to set up a nice bubble screen to start the game. Note that the run action holds the OLB (circled) enough to let Knowles get to the sideline.

D1-P2-PA-Outside-Curl.gif

Later in the drive Messingham used another nice play action pass off of an inside zone run look from 2 backs. The TE and top side WR essentually run a smash concept creating space for the deep comeback route on the other side of the field.

D1-P3-G-Sweep.gif

K-State used a lot of 1 back, double TE formations to create extra gaps for the BGSU defense. A new wrinkle in this game was outside power pulling the center for an outside run cutting inside the OT. I generally call it power sweep, even though it doesn't usually end up going all the way to the edge. Note the key blocks early in the play from the TE on the OLB and the backside guard on the backside ILB. This frees up the puller to pick off the play side ILB.

Drive 2

D2-P1-PA-Outside-Curl.gif

Another effective play action, similar to the concept above leading to the deep comeback route. Here the run fake again features a puller in 1 back with 2 TEs. The bottom route between the TE and WR is another smash concept and once again Thompson is able to make a nice throw on the move.

D2-P2-QB-Scramble.gif

The more I've watched Messingham's offense no matter where he's been, its clear that the QB scramble is a big weapon, and we've seen in the first 2 games on 4 key scramble plays. The key here is the pick up of the 5 rushers from BGSU and the ability of the OL to not only hold blocks, but to create a running lane when its clear Thompson isn't going to be able to make a throw.

D2-P4-G-Sweep.gif

Here is another power sweep look that broke for K-State's first touchdown. Again, you can see the key blocks develop from the playside OL and the puller. Note the final quick move vs the unblocked safety and staying on his feet for Brown to break it.

Drive 3

D3-P1-H-Back-Zone.gif

This is another different scheme that we didn't see in week 1. K-State is in 1 back with twin WRs to the bottom and a stacked TE and H back to the top. The offensive line uses inside zone blocking while the H back comes across the formation to lead up or kick out the edge defender. Note that the H back across holds the ILB (circled).

D3-P2-RB-Flat.gif

This was the next play from the same formation. The TE and H both ran inside curl routes to the sticks, and the RB runs a flat route to the same side; no one picks up Brown and he easily picks up the first down along the sideline.

D3-P2-QB-Power.gif

We all know how Holcombe's play ended up, but I did want to break down this version of QB power. I really liked the concept and it looks like it had a chance to be a really big play. Its basically the same concept as the power sweep with a puller and the back helping lead. Its actually not unlike some of Snyder/Dimel's QB power concepts.

D3-P4-A-Gap-Power.gif

Honestly, I can't get enough of A-gap power. This one is a bit unique because K-State is in the I formation, but with 3 WRs (and no TEs). The concept of pulling the backside guard remains the same. I did highlight the amount of bodies at the point of attack, yet Brown is able to find a crease for a decent gain here.

D3-P5-H-Back-Zone.gif

Here's another version of the inside zone with the H back crossing that led to K-State's 2nd TD. Bowling Green has 7 guys on the LOS this time (which actually helps the inside zone blocking scheme). Again the H back crossing to block helps hold the ILB allowing the OL to get the angle at the 2nd level. Then Gilbert shows great ability to stay on his feet and get to the endzone.

Drives 4 through 7 coming later in the thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News