ADVERTISEMENT

KC Catbacker event - Stan Weber

97cat

All-American performer
Apr 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
I just got back from the 3rd annual KC Catbacker event at Prairiefire in Overland Park the week before the 1st game with Stan Weber speaking. This year rain / lightening caused the event to move indoors upstairs at the Pinstripes bowling alley instead of out front

Not a whole lot of earth shaking info, but still a few things from his perspective (well I am sure most of his info comes from his 2 sons on the team, 1 working as a grad asst, the other playing as a WR)

QB - This one I found the hardest to believe, but he said that players have said that they have been so focused on their assignments on offense, that they usually dont even notice when Delton and Thompson switch during practice. Again, I think he is getting this from his son the WR, but I would think just the way they move differently, throw the ball differently, etc., it would be easy to tell, but that is what he said. He did make a great point, a lot of fans may think that Delton should be above Thompson based on their last game where Thompson struggled, but his point was when Delton came in, he was fresh. He believes had Delton started, sure he would get yards, but not to the degree he was getting where he was scoring at will. Delton is the 3rd fastest player on the team, when he comes in with fresh legs, the UCLA defense was already tired, used to the speed that KSU was playing, and not ready for a 4.4 guy taking over. He, like many, think both will go through growing pains, both will play a ton, both will have multiple starts. He really credited Delton for not giving up after Thompson got the starting job at the end of the season. Here is a guy (Thompson), 1 yr younger then you, he gets the starting job, odds are the younger guy keeps it, but Delton kept practicing, improving, etc., and when his number was called, he was ready and with fresh legs tore through UCLA. We really do need them both and BOTH hungry. Neither should accept being #2!

RB/FB/TE - Not a whole lot but he said that Alex Barnes had an injured ankle last year and was NEVER at a 100%. He is now. He also said that the offense will be changing up somewhat, and as long as the OL can get better blocks, dominate better then last yr, then instead of running the QB so much, we will see the RB/FB/TE get the ball thrown to them even if its only 4 or 5 yards in front. He said the reason we ran the QB so much last yr was the OL couldn't fend off defenders, so they used the RB more as a blocker then a skill position and they didn't have a choice then to run the QB. This year they are hoping the OL has improved enough where they wont run the QB nearly as much. I dont remember him saying anything on the FB, but as far as TEs he thinks we will see both Lenners and Gammon getting the ball thrown to them.

OL - Basically we return everybody and they need to be consistent for us to be able to use the skill positions and let the QB throw more. He stated that Dalton Risner made the comment that out of all
5 of his fall practices, the players have been "tuned in" to what the coaches are saying. He thinks a lot of that has to do with a younger staff.

WR - We dont have a Tyler Lockett this yr to run 60-80 yards, but he said that Andre Coleman is detail oriented and believes that as long as the WRs stay on their routes, even if it is only 5 or 7 yards out, they can cause disruption on defenses, and move the ball even further catching defenders out of position. He pointed to several examples the past few years where players weren't where they were supposed to be. Even if they did catch the ball, had they followed what the staff had told them to be instead of where they were, they could have gotten more yards then they did. Again this would follow IF the players are listening to the coaches like Risner believes they are now.

Not a whole lot on defense. He thinks that they should be improved based off of another yr of experience. He pointed to Snyders remarks about Adams being "skinnier" in his press conf. He said that was Snyders way of saying that with less weight Adams is much faster. He did say that he believes Blake Seiler wont have the bend dont break mentality that we have been doing the last few yrs, so hopefully we blitz more. But again, I cant remember Stan talking too much about the defense (I think he gets more info from the offense side due to his son the WR)

Special Teams - He commented that if we dont have a star kicker, this would be the best year for that to happen. With a younger, more energized staff, if we are closer to the red zone, they might be willing to go for 4th down more often. He pointed to the Philadelphia Eagles philosophy. If you have 2 possessions, and you go for the FG both times, thats only 6 points. If you go for it on 4th down and only get a TD 50% of the time, thats 7 points. He thinks more teams will start doing this and with a young staff, they might tell the offense that on 3rd and 6, they have 2 chances to get the 1st down. Instead of trying to get 6 yards on 1 play, they may try for 4, and then have a 4th and short.

New Redshirt rule - Not sure how Snyder will do it. But since Snyder doesn't promise recruits automatic playing time their first yr, doesn't think it will make a difference. BUT, if players are dinged up, its late in the season, then perfect time for some true frosh to get 3 or 4 games experience and still have 4 full years of eligibility left.

New kick off rule - Stan said something I hadn't thought of on this new rule. Most teams that never really put time on kick off returns anyway, will just want to down it and take the ball out to the 25, which is more then they would have gotten normally anyway. Even if a coach tells his team the week leading up to KState, saying KSU will try to take it to the house, how well prepared are they going to be? Its the 4th or 5th game into the season, NO ONE has even tried to move the ball on a kickoff, and then you aren't really prepared (even if you do it a few times in practice the week b4 playing KSU) for a team that spends countless hours on perfecting the kick return. The points MAY be easier then ever. Just something I hadn't thought about. I guess we will have to see how it plays out.

Basically to end the event, Stan said that he thinks even if we do only get 7 or 8 wins, he compared this to a year 1 of 2 cycle (He was comparing Chad May 93 then 94, Bishop 97 then 98, Klein 2011 then 2012), He said last yr was SUPPOSED to be yr 2 of Jesse Ertz, but due to season ending injuries earlier on it wasnt. Considering that we only have 3 starters on offense that are srs, and 3 on defense (not counting Sizelove I guess), next yr should be the year. Our schedule is tougher this yr with 5 Big 12 road games, and 3 of those are the favorites to win the Big 12 (OU, West VA, and TCU). Next yr we only have 4 Big 12 road games (3 if you dont count kwho as we take over their stadium). Overall some good info, but nothing earth shattering

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News