ADVERTISEMENT

My stir the pot on coaching post to finish the year

okiecatfan

On the depth chart
Aug 4, 2002
It is time for some who seem to live in an alternative reality about KSU football to look at some facts. I tire of listening to the mantra of:

1. Bill needs to step aside and let someone take us to the next level

2. This staff can’t recruit

3. This staff can’t coach
They seem to think that we are some elite program entitled to being a winner and where recruits would flock if only the right coach was recruiting them. Let’s get some perspective:

1. Our fan base and stadium size generated the 7th ranked average attendance in the Big 12 at 53,100 behind even Iowa State by 3419 per game. Only TCU, Baylor and KU trailed us. Vanderbilt was the only SEC team to trail us but the next closest had 7000 more fans per game in the seats. Does anyone think money doesn’t follow butts in seats normally and that recruits do not in general seek venues where they perform in front of large crowds?

2. Not to mention that we are located in a place we on this board all love but most of America would consider on the fringes of being “the hinterlands”. OSU, TCU and even Iowa State are either located in more populous areas or within short reach to one. OSU is 45 minutes either to OKC or Tulsa but they can’t fill their stadium either but yet out pulled us by 4558 per game. Baylor or Tech have similar issues with us but we don’t want to set their current performance as our benchmark I think we can all agree.
In light of these INDISPUTABLE FACTS the notions in 1 through 3 of the couch coaches are pretty foolish. Bill and staff has kept us competitive and let us get within a few breaks of a NC a couple times. In your alternative reality, how do you see anyone else doing better---your counterpoints IF reasoned would be interesting---than we have done and appear to be on the verge of doing the next couple years?

The next shake out in conference alignment is not a matter of if but of when. Does anyone think that money will not be the driver in the alignment changes? Given the above facts what is our best chance of surviving as a big time program? My view of how we dodge it if in fact it can be dodged which is iffy.

1. Pull of a NC. Bill has us positioned to possibly make a run again before the shakeout. Does anyone think a change in staffs will do any better in the short term or for that matter in the long run?

2. See a huge expansion in population in Manhattan and/or KS. Not likely immediately although the Bioscience industry movement and the ag corridor do have some potential. I have seen projections of 100,000 by 2025. The move to a no income tax state is also a factor in the long run---doubters and go to this site and look at population movement FACTS instead of political talking points. https://www.irs.gov/uac/soi-tax-stats-migration-data You may hate Sam but he gets it although he doesn’t communicate it well. He loves KSU and the bioscience lab and the march to zero were both pro-growth aimed at the state AND very directly at the Manhattan area.
Number 1 buys us time for number 2 but otherwise get ready to be a lower rung football program in your lifetime if you are under 50. If the Bill must go crowd see an alternative route that actually has a chance better than betting a number at the roulette table let’s hear it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News