ADVERTISEMENT

New Year, New Team, Stanford

gvillecat

All-Big 12 performer
Nov 1, 2001
“IF” STANFORD is preparing for the K-State team that finished with a 6 & 7 record a year ago, the Cardinals are preparing for a different team than what K-State will bring to Palo Alto on September 2nd.

Despite being the season opener, I doubt that Stanford is giving K-State a lot of respect or their undivided attention.

Why would the Stanford players fret K-State?
K-State’s defense finished last season ranked #105 in total defense by allowing a whopping 452 yards per game. Worst yet, K-State finished #120 in passing yard allowed. K-State’s defensive stats were not helped by facing the #1, #2, #3, #7, #21, #22, #23, #29 top offenses a year ago.

There is little or nothing about K-State’s team in 2015 that is going to place fear in the hearts of the Stanford players.

Stanford expects to face a weak K-State D-backfield that gave up more scores than Paris Hilton a year ago. Newsflash, K-State’s D-secondary is going to be night and day better.

Stanford expects an average group of K-State linebackers.
It’s been a long time since I felt as good as I do about K-State’s linebackers going into a new season.

Stanford also cannot be impressed with K-State’s offense. The CATS finished with the #112 total offense a year ago. When your offense is basically “one dimensional”, like K-State was a season ago, the opposing defense will load up the box and dare you to throw.
No Ertz, No Pringle, No Zuber in 2015.
I expect K-State to have an effective run game –AND- pass game in 2016, which will keep opposing defenses as honest as Abe.

Stanford fans expect McCaffrey to run wild on K-State’s defense.
Not only will K-State’s defense be much improved, but to begin the season, McCaffrey is going to miss his 4 year starting QB, 3 starting O-lineman, a very talented TE & WR.
These Stanford players were not ‘run of the mill’ players, 4 of the 6 players were drafted (a fifth signed a free agent contract). I’m sure Stanford has good players stepping in, but we are still talking about their first game as starters.

And yes I know that K-State has some new starters as well (though Stanford has more to replace on defense, including their tackling machine from a year ago, who had almost 3 times the number of tackles as the #2 tackler, who is also gone).

I’m sure McCaffrey will rack up some yardage, but I believe the CATS will do a good job of slowing him down.

Like K-State, Stanford will be starting a new quarterback with 3 (or 4) new starting O-lineman, a new tight-end, and new #1 WR -- it’s time to double down on K-State’s d-backfield = use some single coverage, spy McCaffrey, and BRING THE HEAT !!

Confidence:
Stanford is a Top 10 team with the Heisman front-runner, whereas K-State is picked to finish 8th in the Big 12.

There is a fine line between being confident and over-confident. As I have already hinted, I expect the Stanford players to have a little too much confidence and are taking the CATS for granted.

I’m sure that the Stanford coaches have reminded the players that they lost last season’s opener, but that game was on the road, Stanford has K-State at home (no problem brother).

Bottom Line:
The Stanford players have been busy reading their own press clippings about how they are supposed to win the Pac 12, not to mention their Top 10 pre-season ranking.
Stanford is going to be a little full of themselves, “fat and happy” as some like to say.
On the flipside, Bill Snyder is bringing a bunch of hungry / dangerous WILDCATs.
A combination of sharp claws, sharp teeth, and empty stomachs.

I doubt that Stanford is expecting the physicality that the CATS will bring to Palo Alto.

I’m calling it right now, I expect K-State to not only cover the spread but upset Stanford and serve notice to the rest of the Big 12 (and the nation) that Kansas State is back…yeah baby !!

Of course, I could be wrong…ha.
I predicted K-State would beat Okie State last season and it did not happen (thx chain gang).
My purple shades could be on too tight and Stanford will over power K-State with better athletes. I guess we will find out on Sept 2.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Since most of you are already charging me with being over the legal limit on purple Kool-Aid =
Here’s why I’m high on the CATS!

NIGHT & DAY BETTER:
Quarterback

The most important positon on the field = the quarterback.
The hype continues to grow for Jesse Ertz. Since we have not seen Jesse play in a real game, it’s hard to fully embrace all of the hype, but I’m trusting that Jesse will perform quite well.
In short, it would be hard not to see a big improvement at the QB position.

WR group ‘should’ be night and day better.
Pringle brings big play ability to the table and Zuber brings speed that was absent last season.
Sutton is a promising true freshman as well. Burton and others should be improved.
If I’m not mistaken, having a QB that can accurately throw the football will have a positive impact on the WR group too..ha.

A productive offense is a defense’s best friend. A defense cannot give up yards or points when it’s sitting on the sidelines as the offense generates first downs.

D-Backfield should be night & day better.
Morgan Burns was a stud in the return game, but he struggled in coverage (to say it nicely).
As we all know, Injuries plagued the D-backfield a year ago.
DJ Reed (or Dozier) should be a significant upgrade in coverage.

Barnett returns with proven hype (last year, a freshman was thrown into his role). Also worth noting, Barnett is returning from an injury that should have no effect on his ability to run and cut.

Adams and Newlan return with valuable experience.

Starks is a very solid player as the nickel-back spot (he brings another year of experience).

Duke Shelley was not expected to play last season, but got thrown into the fire. Duke performed well given the circumstances. Expect Shelley to be much improved with the experience that he gained last season.
Lastly, the CATS have much better depth in the D-backfield as well.

Other positions for which I expect to see at least some improvement:
Jordan Willis = senior season. Can he take his game to another level… an NFL level?
Will Geary = second season as a starter (stepping up as a leader as well).
Reggie Walker and/or Tanner Wood (improvement over Marquel Bryant? I think so).
That’s 3 of the 4 defensive line positions for which we should see some degree of improvement.

Dalton Riser = second season as a starting O-lineman (Dalton will be an upgrade at R. Tackle).

Running backs = fierce competition should bring out the best in one or two.

Warmack will be better utilized in 2016, he may not start, but he will play.
I believe that Dalvin is going to have a break-out year in 2016 (get him in the open field).

Lots of competition at linebacker, quality young guns are pushing the upper classmen.
Mike Moore is primed to have a big senior season (Lee = a big junior year).

Tight-end should be as good, if not better, than last season.
Dayton Valentine is one of the most improved players on the team = per the GPC player poll.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IMO, there are only two positions on the team for which the CATS will likely experience a drop-off in performance (hopefully not a big drop-off).
Travis Britz (DT) and Cody Whitehair (OT).

Scott Frantz and a host of D-tackles will attempt to fill these two voids.

I do not expect a measurable drop-off at the guard positions (status quo).
Stiverson battled injuries last season and Luke Hayes had his moments.
I’m confident that 2 or 3 players will step-up at guard this season.

Again, Risner will be an improvement at right tackle over Kleinsorge.

Reportedly, Najvar was neck & neck with Risner to start at center last season. If true, we shouldn’t see a drop-off at center (who knows, maybe Najvar will be even better).

Scott Frantz will have some growing pains, but it’s exciting that we have a talented RS Freshman that won the left tackle spot.
Scott has received a lot of positive pub since his arrival to Manhattan.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My biggest concern about the 2016 WildCats = stay away injury bug !!
If Ertz stays healthy (as well as others), K-State is going to have a very special year.
By special = compete for a Big 12 title and….. yes I still believe in the Legend and I believe in Jesse Ertz.

The CATS will get things rolling with an upset win over Stanford (CAN YOU DIG IT).

GO STATE !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News