ADVERTISEMENT

No need to wait: KU Scout, Part 2

Chris_Nelson

On full scholarship
Dec 2, 2005
Below is the link to my scout before the first game for your reference.

https://kansasstate.forums.rivals.com/threads/ku-scout.86999/

On the defensive end, three of my keys were defending Azubuike, forcing KU to take contested 2s instead of open 3s, and being solid out of timeouts.

Defending Azubuike:
  • The Wildcats must do a better job on Monday than they did the first go around, and this includes fouling him if and when the time is appropriate. If it is close late, K-State should deploy the “Hack-a-Doke” strategy. Even if the Wildcats are up 2 with 40 seconds to go, I don’t think fouling is a bad strategy. Now I know that aren’t many, if any coaches, who would foul when they are ahead so I don’t necessarily expect it, but I would not be upset if K-State did it.
  • I would also employ the strategy at the end of the first half. Many times, KU has hit big shots against K-State to end the half and they did so in the first game. If KU has the ball with 30 seconds left in the half, I would foul him. Not only is there a good chance it forces an empty possession from KU, it also gives the Wildcats an extra possession offensively.
  • In the first scout, I talked about KU using action on the strong side of the floor to get Doke open in the post on the weak side. When KU throws the ball to a guard on the elbow and Graham cuts off of him, the Wildcats should immediately be looking for a ball reversal and Doke sealing inside. When the post guarding Doke sees Graham cut, it is only natural for him to slide over to help in case Graham gets the hand off. The defender can’t get caught sliding too far over and must move on the pass back to the weak side to try to meet Doke away from the basket.
Out of Timeouts / Defending KUs Sets:
  • The Wildcats had some struggles in the first game defending the dribble weave from KU. There were a couple of possessions where it looked like the defenders did not know if they were supposed to switch or not. While KU wasn’t running the dribble weave on their last offensive possession of the game, it was a dribble handoff from Graham to Newman that led to the open lane and foul. It was a situation where K-State should have switched.
  • Below are 3 sets that KU has run fairly regularly the last couple of weeks. The first 2 K-State should be able to recognize before the play happens based on how KU’s players are positioned on the floor.
    • Slip By Svi – For this set, Svi starts around the block area and Doke starts at the top of the key. When the Wildcats see this, they should all be yelling to watch for the slip from Svi. The play starts with Graham moving from left to right with Doke setting a ball screen for him and rolling to the basket. Graham then reverses dribble and heads back left. Svi moves up the floor and fakes like he is going to set a ball screen for Graham and slips/pops to the right for a 3. When KU ran this at the end at WVU, Svi put the ball on the floor for a driving lay-up. I would expect K-State’s strategy for defending this to be for the defender on Graham and Svi to switch and great communication is the key to doing that successfully.
    • High ball screen, roll and replace - This starts with Svi and Graham both out high with Doke at the free throw line area and the other two wings free throw line extended or below. The play starts with Svi passing the ball to Graham and Doke setting a back screen for Svi cutting to the basket. Doke then moves to set a ball screen for Graham and rolls to the basket. As Doke is rolling to the basket, Svi cuts out above the 3 point line. This causes the defense issues because if the post helps on the ball screen, that means Svi’s man has to help on Doke on the roll and is slow to close out to Svi, giving him an open three. The best way to defend this is probably to have the defender who is guarding the wing on Svi’s side of the floor to rotate up to Svi and Svi’s man to rotate out to the wing. Or depending on the time and score, fouling Doke rolling to the basket may be a good option.
    • Side pick and roll and lob to Doke - KU can get into this set in a variety of ways so it is not as easy to quickly identify. However, if KU is in a 4 out 1 in set and Graham passes to ball to the opposite wing and cuts to the corner, there is a good chance they are looking to reverse the ball back to Graham with that side of the floor cleared out. K-State gave up a dunk to Doke earlier in the game on this play, but did defend it well in the final minute of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News