ADVERTISEMENT

One more opinion on today's "event"

DTKSU

All-American performer
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/syndicated-columnists/article233085492.html

Couple of snippets:
There was partisanship on both sides, of course, but I was struck and saddened by the way some Republicans lashed out at Mueller and tried to discredit him. After all, Mueller is a lifelong Republican, a decorated veteran and a longtime law enforcement leader — precisely the kind of person one might expect Republicans to show respect for.

It seemed that once Republicans had gauged Mueller’s refusal to push back hard, they chose to toss out conspiracy theories about the origins of the investigation. They didn’t contest the specific points made about Trump trying to foil the justice system, but they did try to distract from them.

When I was a teenager watching hearings about Nixon’s abuses, I was struck by the willingness of some Republicans to defend Nixon and argue that Watergate was vastly overblown.

Soon enough, this was shown to be a triumph of loyalty to party over loyalty to country. History won’t reward obfuscation or blind party loyalty this time, either.

...and:
Somewhat reluctantly, Mueller seemed to acknowledge that Trump acted in ways that sound like obstruction of justice. In an exchange with Democratic Rep. Cedric Richmond, Mueller amplified this:

Richmond: “So it’s fair to say the president tried to protect himself by asking staff to falsify records relevant to an ongoing investigation?”

Mueller: “I would say that’s generally a summary.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News