ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How do you make a living?

I have been in the sports apparel and licensed products business most of my adult life. I was a buyer for a retailer that got sold and went to work selling the products I used to buy. I love it!

It's a slow news day...

What is your line of work?

2014officespace4.gif
Telecom exec

Reactions: petgeo
I have been a full time professional photographer for 38 years even though I have my B. S. degree from K-State in History. I did use my degree to write three Historical novels, published under the Forge label in paperback under contract with Tor books, NY., NY in 1995 and 1996. Burn, Missouri, Burn; Kansas, Bloody, Kansas; and Ride, Rebels, Ride. about the true battles and actions in the Civil War in Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, and Texas. (Books are still available through myself or Amazon.) Only the family was fictional. I didn't change history, I just put my characters in the actual events for a you are there experience. I have also wrote magazine article that were published in a variety of magazines, and wrote screen plays for local made movies. I'm semi-retired now which gives me more time to work with JFT Productions on local movies in SW. Kansas. We did three films in 2014. I still do some photography, because I still enjoy it. Writing has been good to me.

And you took my HHS senior photos, and I think purchased my Fiesta Bowl tickets from Dad (Warren) when Ryan (my little brother) couldn't get off work to go with us. I decided it was more important to spend New Year's with him watching in MO than in a mob in AZ that I didn't know...

Good to see you here again, Randy.

Layne

knowing what you do leads me to believe you are an amazing person. Big ups to you
Huge responsibility (and one I take VERY serious) to take someone's most prized possession from their arms, go behind locked double doors where the parent's have no control, assist in performing a life-saving procedure, and insure their son or daughter is delivered safely back to them. Puts life into perspective every day. Guys, hug your kids and be grateful.

Huge responsibility (and one I take VERY serious) to take someone's most prized possession from their arms, go behind locked double doors where the parent's have no control, assist in performing a life-saving procedure, and insure their son or daughter is delivered safely back to them. Puts life into perspective every day. Guys, hug your kids and be grateful.
You are awesome

Reactions: RNCAT
Project Manager/Estimator in charge of the commercial side of a heating and cooling company in Kansas City.

I did the exact same thing. Do you like sales better than being a buyer?

Buyer = overworked, underpaid, incredible pressure........ but very rewarding successfully running a $1.2 billion category, making decisions about meeting retailer’s consumer needs as to what items go on the shelf, what to price them at, how / when to promote,etc.

CPG sales= Travel, overworked at times ( flexible hours though ), better paid, different pressures, influencer instead of being THE key decision maker....I meet retailer needs and consumer needs at the same time with responsibility of about $110 million.

Bottom line, I loved both, but prefer the sales side.

Buyer = overworked, underpaid, incredible pressure........ but very rewarding successfully running a $1.2 billion category, making decisions about meeting retailer’s consumer needs as to what items go on the shelf, what to price them at, how / when to promote,etc.

CPG sales= Travel, overworked at times ( flexible hours though ), better paid, different pressures, influencer instead of being THE key decision maker....I meet retailer needs and consumer needs at the same time with responsibility of about $110 million.

Bottom line, I loved both, but prefer the sales side.
Congrats Yep, I agree with that. I love the freedom I have and I can choose how I spend my day. I am on straight commission so If I don't sell, I don't get paid. It's a great motivator.

Engineering Degree, but self employed as the owner a meal delivery business and do online marketing as a side gig.

My KSU degree is electrical engineering but have been a family doctor for the past 20 years.

As of last Monday running down a book of loans in China as Country Manager in addition to my other gig as Chief Risk Officer for AsiaPac

Retired federal bank examiner/regulator (US Treasury/OCC). Accounting degree from KSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT